Why Netflix is the Best Christmas Present

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Any type of person can enjoy all that Netflix has to offer. At $8 a month, you can buy a few months for a friend or family member and know that they will have endless hours of enjoyment. No matter their interests, Netflix has something for everyone on your list. Here are my top TV show picks:

For your best friend: Orange is the New Black

If you haven’t heard of this Netflix original series you must be living under a rock. Based on the true story of a woman named Piper who spends 14 months in prison for a crime she committed 10 years prior, OITNB reflects the trials and tribulations of Piper and the other inmates in a hilarious and dramatic 13-episode series.

Other suggestions: One Tree Hill and New Girl

For your glamorous sister: Gossip Girl

This 6-season show is based on a popular book series about the life of Manhattan’s elite. Best friends Serena and Blair are not your average high schoolers and lead lives that would make just about anyone jealous. I know you’ll love it. Xoxo

Other suggestions: Scandal and Pretty Little Liars

For your nerdy brother: Freaks and Geeks

Though the show was sadly cut short after just one season, Freaks and Geeks features some of today’s best comedians including: Seth Rogen, James Franco, and Jason Segel. Not only is it hysterical, but it is an accurate depiction of the ups and downs of high school in the 1980s.

Other suggestions: Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead

For your cool uncle: House of Cards

Kevin Spacey stars in this Netflix original series as conniving congressman Frank Underwood. After being passed over for appointment to Secretary of State, Underwood decides to undermine all those who betrayed him and will stop at nothing to exact his revenge.

Other suggestions: The League and Parks and Recreation

For your adventurous aunt: The Killing

This crime series doesn’t follow the normal trend of one crime per episode but instead features one murder throughout the whole season. The Rosie Larsen case haunts detective Sarah Linden in a show that has more twists and turns than you could ever see coming.

Other suggestions: Law and Order: SVU and American Horror Story