gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why I’m Perfectly Fine Being Engaged at Twenty

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

I am a firm believer that there’s someone out there for everyone. Some of us meet that person at 20, 35, or even 50. I, on the other hand, met mine at 13. Full disclosure: we of course didn’t date for that entire time, but you get the idea.

I met my now future husband when I was 13 years old. We were friends for years before we actually started dating, so when I say that he is my best friend, I mean it 100%. I am now twenty and a junior in college, and he is a senior graduating in May. We’ve been together for all of our adult lives, and we got engaged on Christmas morning.

I’m sure at least one of you are thinking “how cliché on Christmas morning? At 20?” which is fine because it was a proposal made just for me, but that isn’t the point. Everyday that someone finds out that I’m engaged, I am met with eye rolls, gasps, and questions like, “don’t you want to graduate first?” or my favorite, “don’t you want to live before you settle down?” When did settling down become such a taboo in our society? Either way, I promise you I haven’t settled down a bit since I met him, and he loves me even more for it.

I am beyond excited to be officially engaged to the man of my dreams. I never have to worry about where our relationship is going, what our futures will look like, or hell, who I’m going home from the bar with every weekend.

I still go out with my friends, I still keep up with my schoolwork, and I’m still graduating with my own degree. We push each other to work harder to build a better future for us, and like I said earlier, being friends first definitely helped us in the long run.

I get to build a life with my best friend. I get to spend my last year of college doing everything you normally do, but I get to plan my dream wedding at the same time. I don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything.

I’m gaining everything I ever wanted.    

Kaitlyn Reavis

App State '18

Kaitlyn is a senior at Appalachian State majoring in Public Relations with a minor in Political Science.  Kaitlyn is the President of Her Campus App State as well as one of the Campus Correspondents.  She's also the president of App's Ducks Unlimited chapter, and a member of Sigma Alpha Lambda, which is the communication honors society, and a member of Collegiate Republicans. She's moved by her love for this country and the way it works. She hopes to one day be a part of what makes it work be it in politics or campaign management and research. In her free time Kaitlyn coaches’ softball, reads, obsesses over her 6 dogs (yes you read that right), and enjoys being surrounded by the people she loves. She hopes to turn her stories into a book one day but until then... "Never settle for bad coffee, bad friends, or bad men."