Snacks That Won’t Ruin Your Diet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Trying to eat healthy on campus can be difficult, especially when it comes to snacks. Snacks are supposed to be easy to grab, filling enough to get you through the rest of the day, and tasty, but many of them are ruining your diet without you even realizing! Here are some low calorie options that can be found on campus or in groceries stores nearby:

1. Fresh fruit

This one is pretty obvious but many of us pass it up on a regular basis. One reason may be that you find fruit to be too boring or maybe you just don’t like the bananas, apples, and oranges that the cafeteria carries. If you think fruit is boring, try to find ways to make it more exciting. One idea is a take on a childhood favorite: Ants on a log. If your mom ever made these for you as a kid, it’s the same idea but with a few changes. Take a banana and cut it into thirds and slice them down the middle. Then smear a little almond butter or honey. Stay away from peanut butter since 2 tablespoons of peanut butter contains 190 calories and 16 grams of fat. Then add either almonds or raisins. If you are really craving sweets you can also add dark chocolate chips and count this as a dessert. On the other hand, if your issue with fruit is that you don’t like what is being offered, try to stop by Lowes Foods once a week and get the fruit you like. Lowes Foods is not that far from campus, and they carry my two favorites: Pineapple and Mango.

2. Chips and Dip

Okay…I know what you’re thinking but chips and dip CAN be healthy if you get the right kinds. Earthfare carries sweet potato chips among other vegetable varieties that cost around $3.50 a bag. Just be sure to check the ingredients. The list should be short and should only include ingredients you recognize and can pronounce. Dips can be equally tricky but look for things that aren’t cheesy or contain a lot of sugar. Another option is to buy a container of Pico de gallo which typically contains onions, cilantro, tomato, and other vegetables. When in doubt, check the label!

3. LARABAR’s

Everyone has their own opinion when it comes to packaged items, and while I think fresh ingredients are always the best option, LARABAR’s are a good alternative. According to their website, “LÄRABAR® is a delicious blend of unsweetened fruits, nuts and spices. Made from whole food, each flavor contains no more than nine ingredients. Pure and simple, just as nature intended.” They come in a variety of flavors like chocolate chip cookie dough, apple pie, and banana bread, and their moist texture makes them tastier than their granola based counterparts. Harris Teeter carries these bars for cheaper than other grocery stores in Boone.

4. Trail Mix

Nuts and dried fruit are always good snacks on the go, so why not combine them to make your own trail mix? My favorite recipe includes dried cherries, almonds, banana chips, and dark chocolate chips. Combine these ingredients in a large Tupperware container, add honey, shake and munch on all week. I usually separate mine into smaller zip lock bags so I can throw one in my backpack every day. One benefit of making your own is that you are never tempted to only eat one ingredient (m&m’s anyone?) out of the bag because YOU pick the ingredients.

Eating healthy snacks can be easy and affordable.  Now that you know a few healthy snack options, put the chips away and grab some trail mix!

I am a Junior at App majoring in Apparel Design and Merchandising. I love dresses, thrifting, playing soccer, reading magazines, celebrity closets, bubble baths, mom & pop restaurants, and giving relationship advice. I hate waking up early, band aids, Dr. Phil, and men with big muscles.