This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

This summer I lived out my childhood dream when I landed an internship in the heart of Manhattan. I interned with a fabulous stylist named Kate Moodie who got her start on Vogue and has since worked in fashion for over 30 years. She is currently the fashion editor at Health Magazine as well as launching her own lifestyle blog-azine Mood of Living. My summer was ideal to say the least.

I stayed in the NYU dorms in Greenwich Village. Washington Square Park was my backyard, and I heard and watched incredible performers everyday. It truly has a neighborhood feel and is extremely safe. I loved walking out my front door with nowhere to go and finding an amazing coffee shop or boutique.

When I worked at Health Magazine, I was in the fashion closet at the Time Inc. building near Rockefeller Center. I saw more amazing clothes than I could have ever imagined, including a $20,000 Swarovski crystal crop top. I was responsible for checking in and organizing clothing and jewelry that would be used for cover shoots.

The other half of the time, I worked from Kate’s pent house apartment on the Upper West Side. Her terrace overlooked the city and was right next to Central Park. I spent most of my time working with Adobe programs to help design the website. The amount of work that went into building the Mood of Living site was more than I could have imagined and wouldn’t have been possible without the hard work of the other amazing girls I interned with. Ros, Jess, Kacy, Angela, and Sherry are some of the coolest and most talented people I could have hoped to work with. All our different talents came together to make for an awesome work environment and contribution to Mood of Living.

[pagebreak]

When I wasn’t working, I spent every free moment taking in as much of the city as I could. From sight seeing to shopping to eating as much as possible, this summer wouldn’t have been the same without my two best friends, Katie and Jordan. We had experiences that will stay with us for the rest of our lives. Although it is hard to sum it all up, here are some of my favorite things about New York City:

Favorite Restaurant: B Bar & Grill

Favorite Brunch spot: The Half Pint

Favorite Dessert Spot: Molly’s Cupcakes

Favorite Bar: The 13th Step

[pagebreak]

Favorite Store: Barney’s

Favorite Museum: The Metropolitan Museum of Art 

Favorite Tourist Spot: The High Line

Favorite View: Pent House Terrace of 27 West 96th Street 

[pagebreak]

If you’re thinking about pursuing an internship or job in New York City I cannot suggest it enough. The city is an amazing place with so much to offer. So take a week, a month, a year, and just go experience it. I promise you won’t regret it.

Also, check out Kate’s new website: www.moodofliving.com