This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

This week, I interviewed my best friend Rachel to talk about positivity and how to feel happy when you are feeling down. This interview took place over FaceTime, waiting in my car for my Chinese Takeout. #SupportLocal. 

To start the interview, I asked Rachel how she would describe herself to my audience; this is what she said.

“My name is Rachel, and I am a computer science major concentrating in cybersecurity and getting my Masters in cybersecurity as well. I go to UNC Charlotte, love the outdoors, and like to spend my free time doing puzzles, photoshoots, and hanging out with friends. I am a baker and make some delicious apple pies.”

Ivan Samkov via Pexels
Ariana:  What is your go-to thing to make you feel good when you’re having a bad day?

Rachel: I listen to music very loudly on my speaker or call one of my friends, like you, who make me laugh really hard till I pee myself. 

A: What is your favorite movie to watch when you’re feeling down?

R: I really like About Time. Actually, The Grinch because it has some iconic quotes and it’s not a Christmas movie.

A: What is your favorite song or artist to listen to when you’re feeling down?

R: My favorite song would probably be “You Got It” by Vedo. I don’t have a favorite artist but I like to listen to all kinds of music.

A: What physical activity or activities do you like to do when you’re feeling down?

R: I like to go for walks, runs, or do cardio dance classes online.

A: What’s your advice to someone who is feeling down?

R: So many good quotes come to mind, but “Catch some Z’s so you don’t catch L’s” is a good one – it’s my quote – and watch the Grinch

people on zoom call
Photo by Anna Shvets from Pexels
A: How do you keep a positive mindset?

R: I keep quotes on my mirror, I text my friends regularly to check-in, and I know when I need words of encouragement from my friends, even though I know it can be scary. I have to be brave enough to ask for encouragement from my friends. I keep a gratitude list and I always go back and read over. I also let things go that are out of my control by putting them on a piece of paper, ripping them up, and throwing them in the trash.

A: How do you spread positivity to others?

R: I always assume people are having the worst day of their life. I always come into a conversation with high energy and I compliment them about their outfit or something I’ve never noticed before. I encourage others to think about the positive things occurring in their life or I ask them something good about their day. Also, side note, positivity doesn’t mean you have to be happy. Be sad and then let yourself be happy. Or, feel whatever feelings you’re feeling, and try to look at it in a positive way. Again, positivity doesn’t mean you have to be happy.

A: How will you continue to bring positivity into your life?

R: *aggressively eating pasta* One of my favorite quotes is “I strive for perfection but I know I’m not perfect.” I’m pretty sure I said that, but that’s how I continue to be positive because even when you’re sad and not happy, that doesn’t make you imperfect. Being present in the moment and not focussing on the past or future too much equals positivity.

To conclude this interview, Rachel ate a Rollo, devoured eight ounces of Dean’s French Onion Dip, and had carrots and crackers. She stated,

“I ate all that; I did it because it makes me happy.”

young woman holding phone on couch
Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels
After talking about how much we love food, we noted the importance of checking in with ourselves and others and talked about how the world should follow her on Instagram, @inspirationalsforyou. We all have crappy days, but that doesn’t mean we can’t do things to fix them. Good luck babes, and I’ll see you next week!

Here are some quotes Rachel said during the Interview which were just too good not to include:

1. Be your biggest hype person, because ain’t nobody gonna be it better than you.

2. Set goals for yourself.

3. No shade, all tea.

4. Have faith, gather hope, scatter love.

Ariana Fuentes

App State '23

Optimistic at the moment