This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Ariana Fuentes 

The shift from Twilight weather to frost biting wind chills can only mean one thing, “Winter is here” (Game of Thrones reference tehe). With winter being present in Boone that means more stumbles and falls, slips and trips, and of course dangerous road conditions. 

The first and most important tip to staying safe, whether you live in Boone or other cold climates, is to layer your clothing. My favorite things to do are wear leggings under my jeans or sweats, wear fuzzy socks on top of ‘normal’ socks, and wear a tank top, t-shirt, and sweater to keep my chest warm. I personally can’t stand being cold so I’ll take the sweaty clothes over freezing on the way to class. 

The second tip and arguably equally as important as layering clothes, would be to wear shoes with good traction or grip. Winter means the converse, vans, and air force ones stay home: I mean it! In Boone, the most common shoes worn during the winter include (but ofc aren’t limited to) Doc Martens, hiking boots/ shoes, and sneakers with deep ridges on the bottom. There are a few fashionistas that wear absolutely stunning heels, but I wouldn’t recommend it if you’re a klutz like me. 

The third tip relates back to tip number one which would be, have a good winter coat, beanies, and gloves. On top of the cold, windy air, there are also snowy days that can be quite brutal. I would recommend a waterproof winter coat or puffer! You can also try layering a hoodie under your coat for that extra layer of warmth. As for gloves and beanies, I would recommend anything fleece lined (as again more warmth), or anything that won’t easily become soggy due to the snow. 

*Tip for the girlies, put your beanie on, then your coat, then your hood; this will keep the wind from tangling your hair.

Winter can be very fun but safety is super important. Make sure you’re staying warm and safe! If you plan on driving make sure you have snow chains or all weather tires. Always fill up your car with snacks, emergency gear, and extra jackets and blankets in case of an emergency. Check that your car is full on gas and please don’t go to the cottages with your tiny Honda on snowy days, it won’t make it. Stay safe lovelies and happy winter in Boone! 

Ariana Fuentes

App State '23

Optimistic at the moment