This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

With finals coming up, I, among all the other students at App, am definitely starting to feel the pressure. With finals comes lack of sleep, a temporarily flat social life, and an over-consumption of caffeine. But what if you didn’t have to lose all of those things? Taking care of yourself during finals is one of the best ways to make sure you’ll do well, so here are my top tips for how to stay calm during finals season!

8. Have an effective study strategy

You wouldn’t go into war without a battle plan, so don’t go into finals without a study strategy!

Planning exactly what you need to review and color coding the things you know or need to study more can hold you accountable. My favorite way to help me study is to make a to do list! I am a sucker for lists, and let me tell you, it feels so fantastic to be able to check things off of the list at the end of the day! Another thing I like to do when I’m studying is retype my notes into a Google doc. This allows me to organize them better and helps with memorization, since I get to reread my notes as I type them out.

7. Take breaks

Making time to relax is also just as important as making time to study!

It’s been proven that taking a break from working helps improve your concentration and sustains your energy. You’re at your best when you relax, spend some down time with friends, and live a balanced life. As tempting as it is to just lock yourself up in the library all night, get a study group or go get dinner with your friends, and then come back and start working again. Your mind will thank you for the time off, and you’ll be able to return to your work refreshed and better able to focus.

6. Get enough sleep

How many hours of sleep you can function off of definitely varies from person to person. I know pulling an all-nighter to finish a paper or do some last minute cramming may seem like a perfect idea, but skipping a night’s sleep can make it harder to concentrate, multitask, and remember information. In fact, sleep is known to consolidate memory. So do your last minute studying before bed, get a good night’s rest, and wake up feeling calmer and more prepared!

5. Don’t abuse caffeine

Drinking too much caffeine can lead to headaches, an upset stomach, and increased anxiety – and those are the last things you’re going to want when you’re on your way to crush your finals. Instead of abusing your favorite caffeinated drink, limit yourself to one throughout the day as a reward for all your hard work. I know drinking multiple coffees a day is tempting, and I can definitely appoint to having done that, but don’t get the added espresso! In that moment it may feel like a great idea, but I promise in the long run, it definitely won’t be.

4. Take care of yourself

Just like you deserve self-care every day, you most definitely deserve care during finals season. When you’re studying, take breaks to maintain self-care basics like showering or getting caught up on laundry. Watch an episode of your favorite TV show or do a quick work out to reset. Doing these things can make finals season feel more like another day, rather than a drop-everything study marathon.

3. Unplug

Technology can be a fantastic study aid, but it can also be your biggest distraction and stressor. Unless you’re using your phone as a study tool, turn it off or put it on “do not disturb”! Not seeing your social media, messages, or texts for a few hours can really help you focus on your studies, and give you that much more to look forward to when you do pick up your phone again!

2. Take a walk

One of the best (and my favorite) ways to clear your mind is very simple: take a walk.

Especially on our campus, everywhere you look is mountain views and it’s so beautiful. Walking regularly can help you improve blood pressure and boost your endorphins so you’re in a better mood. Also remember that if things are getting too hectic and you need to take a breather, then do just that – breathe. Deep breathing can reduce tension and anxiety during periods of stress. You can even find  guided meditations and deep breathing exercises on YouTube if you want to. I know something that helps me study is to listen to film scores. The lack of lyrics makes it a lot easier for me to get caught up into the music and focus on my studies!

1. Keeping perspective

If you’re really spiraling and starting to feel like it’s all too much, try to adjust your perspective. This is just a few days or weeks of your life. Yes, finals are important, but they aren’t the most important thing you’ll ever do! Your mental and physical health come before finals! Just remember that one grade doesn’t define you. Try your best, and that’s all you can do! Don’t spend your time stressing about a class that’s not going to matter later in life. Just always try to do your best and put 100% into your studying and you’ll do fine!

Images courtesy of giphy.com

Senior at Appalachian State University. Majoring in Journalism and minoring in Marketing. There's no problem a good cup of coffee can't fix, honestly. I believe in singing loudly and dancing horribly to all music, and living by the statement to always have courage and be kind.
Dianna is a graduate of the class of 2019 at Appalachian State University where she studied Public Relations, Journalism and English. At Her Campus, she served as App State's campus correspondent and editor-in-chief.