samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

3 Polite Ways to Say “No” at Your Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

As an intern, it’s easy to feel like you have no power.

You’re a bottom of the totem pole, coffee-grabbing, spreadsheet-making, phone-answering wannabe. To some in the office, you’re adorable, young and full of fresh ideas. Others in the office could not care less about you—in fact you are practically invisible. The co-workers to be the most careful around are the ones that are very aware that you are an intern—they will take advantage of this fact. You’re a grunt! Therefore, the work they don’t want to do can now fall on to you, right? Wrong.

Whatever your case may be, it’s easy to feel like you can’t say “no” to co-workers because it may seem like you aren’t a valuable asset. In most cases, you’re simply offering free work, and getting paid in resume “experience”, which can make you feel like you’re incredibly expendable.

Regardless of the importance of your work, your time is valuable and you shouldn’t let it be wasted, nor should you put more on your plate than you can handle. Here at Her Campus, we know it’s difficult to balance time at work with multiple tasks, and that’s why we’ve come up with three professional ways to say “no” in the workplace.

1.“I’d be happy to help with your task, but first, I need to accomplish my own tasks for the day.”

This is the best way to seem receptive of your co-worker’s request while also making sure that your work comes first. The worst possible situation to get into is to complete someone else’s daily duties, without finishing your own first. This could set you up for a scenario where someone else could throw you under the bus and take credit for your work. Don’t completely turn down every task given to you by others, but do make sure you have the work done that your boss or manager wants you to have done before you help with anyone else’s.

2. “I’ll have to ask [big guns in charge] if I can work on this with you.”

Make sure to always check in with the head honcho before doing anything at your internship. You never want it to seem like you are over-stepping your boundaries, because this can come across as arrogant—as if you already are a full-time hire at the company. It’s never a bad thing to double check before doing something, and no matter how intimidating your boss may be, most appreciate respectful questions. Keep in mind that some companies have policies about what kind of work can be handled by certain workers, so it is very important to ask. Asking for more duties can also showcase your willingness to learn and grow within the company!

3. “I’m sorry, but I can’t take that task on today.”

Sometimes, you just have to flat-out say, “no”! This is the most polite way to say it, and sometimes you really just do not have the time to help. Most of the time, your boss has already told you what you will be doing for the day, and this response is completely appropriate if you just don’t have the time to add on anything else. This is polite and respectful, yet assertive. It’s important to establish yourself in the workplace while also making it clear that you will not allow yourself to be taken advantage of.

Remember, not everyone in the world has your best interest in mind. Sometimes, pettiness is not uncommon in the workplace and that is NOTHING against you. If a co-worker is constantly pressuring you to complete their work for them, talk to someone; there are tons of resources in every workplace to get help if someone is making you uncomfortable or more stressed than usual. The big kid job world is competitive and if someone feels threatened by you that means you come across as a real asset! So YGG!

Make sure you’re respectful, but not being taken for granted at your internship. Overall, don’t be afraid to tell people that you cannot take their workload on your plate as well. 

Jordan is a Freshman at Appalachian State working a degree in Communications and Public Relations. She's a member of the Theta-Nu chapter of Alpha Phi, and currently serves as the Director of Target Membership Marketing for the chapter. Jordan is an intern newsdesk reporter at The Appalachian campus paper. In her free time, she loves being lazy with the gent, Lee, and their puppies; Macey, Jack, and Ruby. Her dream job is to be a News Anchor.