Her Campus Wrote A Book: The Her Campus Guide to College Life and Why You Should Read It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Do you remember the American Girl books?  Not the ones that connected to the dolls like “Samantha and the Haunted House.”  I’m talking about the books geared toward the owner’s of the dolls.  These books were steps into adulthood by helping young girls boost their body image, make friends and create romantic connections.  If you’re like me, you begged your mom to buy you at least one of these books and used it as a guide for your middle school career.

Now that you’re in college, don’t you wish that these American Girl books could stick with you for life?  Where was the American Girl book “What To Do At Your First Frat Party,” or “Hook-Up Culture 101,” or even “How To Survive Your First College Melt Down.” What on Earth is a young college student to do?

This is where The Her Campus Guide to College Life comes in.  This handy dandy guidebook strives to help its readers “manage relationships, stay safe and healthy, handle stress” and have the best years of their lives.

I know, I know, it sounds a little cliche and similar to one of the books your parents bought you before you got to college.  But here’s why it’s different from any of those books someone over forty handed to you. This advice was written by collegiate women for collegiate women…or as Her Campus likes to call us, collegiettes.  

They don’t beat around the bush in this book.  From learning the different lingo for date rapes drugs (some of the more interesting ones include: Ruffies, Forget Me pill and Mexican Valium). how to get a student visa, how to prevent a car-break in…the list goes on. Chances are, every problem you have encountered or may encounter in college, Her Campus did their best to write tips for you to make the best out of it.

Don’t believe me? Let’s take an Amherst relevant example.  Many Amherst students don’t sleep very much…if at all.  Amherst students also tend to skip breakfast to make up their lost sleep and then down cups of coffee to stay awake for the rest of the day.  Her Campus’ Guide to College Life has a few ideas to avoid using caffeine to keep our eyes open.

• Have a protein filled snack
  • Consuming vitamin B (in poultry, dairy and fish)
  • A quick workout
  • A cold shower
  • Take a walk
  • Meditate

I can say for a fact that five out of six of these options have worked for me when I pulled an all-nighter for a final project (meditation is a little too relaxing for me when I’m tired..zzz).  

All in all, the Her Campus Guide to College Life has many great tips.  With a retail price of $15.99, I strongly encourage you to check the book out for yourself (or give it to soon-to-be collegiette as a gift).  I know, Her Campus Amherst is treasuring our copy of this book and will consult for our college advice, when we aren’t writing articles to give you yours!

Carina Corbin graduated from Amherst College in 2017 and started writing for Her Campus during her first year. She was a Computer Science and Asian Languages & Civilizations double major that still loves to learn languages, write short stories, eat great food and travel. She wrote for Her Campus Amherst for four years and was Campus Correspondent for 3.5 years. She enjoyed interviewing Campus Profiles and writing content that connected with the Amherst community.