jakob owens WUmb eBrpjs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens WUmb eBrpjs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Wrist Watches Still Matter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

“What time is it?”

“Oh, sorry, my phone died.”

“Yeah, mine too.”

“Well, it’s getting dark so maybe seven-ish?”

“Yeah, let’s go with that.”

How often do we almost miss an appointment, or stress over the possibility because we simply aren’t aware of the time? How often is this unawareness due to the fact that we aren’t carrying our phones (or even more horrible — our phones died unexpectedly)?

This reason, and many others, are why that I still wear a wrist watch in 2015. While it might seem old-fashioned, a watch is one of my best possessions. Don’t mistake me, though. I love my phone and would still be seriously upset if something happened to it. I use it for scheduling, Facebook, Instagram, texting, calling, taking quick notes, playing games, taking pictures, studying languages (Duolingo, anyone?), and of course, checking the time. But that’s just it. I use my phone for so much, it’s as if the only thing I need is a phone. And everytime I grab my phone to do one of the above, I end up doing nearly all of the above.

Checking the time doesn’t need to take ten minutes, especially since when I need to check it, it is because I may be running late to a class. Additionally, twisting my wrist around tends to be much quicker than digging through a bag for my phone. Glancing down at my watch, ironically, helps me save time. Looking at the analog clock on my wrist takes all of three seconds, and I can quickly return to the life in front of me.

While wearing a watch might sound old-fashioned, they definitely don’t have to look it. One of my favorite watches is bright pink, with a large circular face and analog design. Not only does it give me the time, but it gives me a great accessory to add to nearly anything I wear.

I think that there is a difference between plain, analog watches, and the up and coming Apple watches. While Apple watches are great for doing many things, they still keep us connected, I still prefer and love old-fashioned watches; watches that give the time, and do nothing else. Using a basic watch gives me back the time I would lose if I were to use my phone or any other advanced technology. I check it and return to the conversation at the lunch table. I check it and return to finishing that paper due in the morning. I check it and actually notice the beautifully changing spring weather unfolding in front of me.

Believe me, it is hard to get into the habit, and I have yet to master it myself. I’m not saying that we should completely stop using our phones to check the time. Sometimes, it really is the most convenient method. Maybe your phone was out already, or maybe the watch you have really clashes with your outfit. I do, however, think that there is value in bringing back simple gadgets that don’t swallow us into an unintentional hour “in the cloud.” I continue to work on disconnecting from my cell phone and social media every day, and I think that little things, like using a watch, are the right stepping stones to creating a good balance between the web and reality.

Photos Sources: 123