The Lalasipping Coffee In Bed
The Lalasipping Coffee In Bed
Her Campus Media
Wellness > Mental Health

Why It’s Okay to Not Have Plans for Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

You hear and see it everywhere: in the movies, from students around campus, and even on social media. An unforgettable spring break vacation sometimes seems mandatory in college. More than half of students plan on traveling for the week. But, if you’re anything like me, this idea can be really stressful. Many factors, like financial situations, can be a barrier for college students from traveling over spring break.

Person Holding Smartphone Riding Airplane
Jason Toevs / Pexels
A lot of students simply visit home for spring break. Seeing family and friends in your hometown can be refreshing and benefit your mental health. Spend quality time with loved ones that you may not often see when you’re at school. This may be the only opportunity for some students to see family and friends before the end of the semester.

“I’m excited to go home because I’ll be celebrating my mom’s birthday that week! This really means a lot to me since I’ll be moving to Los Angeles later this year so I won’t be able to see her and my family as often once I move,” said American University senior Jess Lapitan.

Being home means no responsibility (besides maybe some household chores). A vacation is often stressful and busy, then you have to come right back to school a week later. Taking a real break where you can just relax on the couch or eat a home-cooked meal gives you time to decompress from chaotic college life. 

You don’t have to spend the whole time in your house either. Go to your old favorite places to eat and hang out with friends from high school or siblings and enjoy some of the things you may miss. “I’m excited to see my dogs,” said American University sophomore Sophia George. 

three women lay next to each other on a bed with their feet up in the air.
Katarzyna Grabowska | Unsplash
Students also often stay on campus  during the break. A week without classes in Washington can be just as fun as a vacation. Try a new restaurant, go shopping (either with friends or take yourself on a trip!), or spend a day in a museum. Do the stuff you’ve wanted to do, but couldn’t while you were busy with classes. 

There is definitely a lot in DC you may not have tried yet. Check out my other article if you’re looking for a cool place to check out! 

Whether you’re at home or staying at school, it is important to take some time for yourself. Practice self care: do a face mask, watch a favorite movie, write in a journal, or practice a hobby you have. In the clutter of classes and extracurricular obligations, a lot of college students miss out on caring for themselves. Start those habits over break while you have time, especially since you’re not rushing around on a trip.

Many students who don’t plan on vacationing may plan on catching up on classwork over break. However, it might be better to ditch the books. Everyone needs a break from the stress of papers and projects sometimes, and students do not often get the opportunity to take that break. Having a week to clear your mind can allow you to come back to classes with new energy and motivation. Some schools have even considered banning assignments over breaks in an effort to improve mental health.

An awesome spring break can be achieved whether you’re on vacation, at home, or at school. Just keep yourself in mind, and do whatever makes your week enjoyable!

Sources: 1, 2, 3

Photos: Her Campus Media Library

Marissa is a junior at American University with two majors in journalism and psychology. She is also involved in other clubs at AU in addition to being a member of Sigma Kappa sorority. She loves writing and being the Business Director for Her Campus American. Outside of school, Marissa loves writing poetry, traveling, and sipping strawberry lemonade. You can follow her on Instagram and Twitter @rissparisi!