absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Why the 2018 Midterm Elections Are Important and How You Can Help

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

What are midterm elections?

If you’re anything like me, you had no idea what midterm elections were until everyone in your residence hall started talking about them a few weeks ago. Hopefully, like me, you have a neighbor majoring in CLEG that can explain what they are and why they’re so important.

via GIPHY

And if not, here’s what I learned. Midterm elections are held every four years, typically in the middle of a President’s four-year term. All 435 seats in the House of Representatives, a large majority of state governors, and a third of the seats in the Senate are up for election. That’s a major opportunity to make some change!

Why should I care?

You’re on the most politically active campus in the country, of course you should care!

via GIPHY

Jokes aside, this election will have a huge impact on the political climate in the next few years. We should know by now that elections matter. The midterm elections are often viewed as a way for the population to express their feelings with the President’s performance. At this point in our current political climate, we must weigh in and show them whose boss.

A party turnover could mean a few things. For starters, impeachment could become a serious possibility. This would mean jumpstarting an investigation into our current administration. A takeover of either party in one or both houses of Congress would make it hard for the other to pass any legislation. Based on your political affiliation, voting in these elections can work very heavily in your favor!

When are the elections and how can I vote?

Great question!

The elections are held on Tuesday, November 6. If you’re already registered to vote in your state, you can register for an absentee ballot. If you haven’t registered to vote yet, what are you waiting for?

There are 143 different polling stations all around DC. The closest to AU is just a three minute walk to the Metropolitan Memorial United Methodist Church in Vestry Hall.

via GIPHY

Grab your friends and go participate in our democracy!

Ayala Ossowski

American '22

Ayala is a freshman at AU from New Jersey! She is studying Public Relations and Strategic Communications and loving it. Her interests include thrift shopping, Harry Styles, and taking care of her plants.