This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

There are some things that a dorm needs that you wouldn’t think of at first glance. Sure, you buy some snacks and toiletries, but what about the little things? Here is a list of some things in your dorm that you might have forgotten about on your summer checklist.

Lindsay Thompson-Miami Laundry Posing Vintage Pensive
Lindsay Thompson / Her Campus

Wrinkle Release Spray

Laundry is a new chore for a lot of people when they begin living in the dorms. One thing I didn’t realize was how quickly clothes get wrinkled. I thought they could sit for around 30 minutes in the basket once they get out of the laundry, but I was very mistaken. If I have a class and can’t put my clothes away right away, they become extremely wrinkled. However, instead of using an iron, one quick fix to the wrinkles is wrinkle release spray. My roommate and I use Downy’s Wrinkle Release Spray, but whatever brand you get will work the same. This will not only take up a lot less space but will also make laundry a lot less daunting.

Drying Rack

On the topic of laundry, a drying rack is necessary for when you stuff way too many clothes in the dryer and end up with a lot of half wet clothes. Small foldable ones like this one are relatively pretty cheap and are easy to store anywhere in your room.

confetti being cleaned up
Unsplash

Vacuum

When you are living out of one small room, you need to keep it as clean as you can. All of the dirt and dust that would usually be spread across your house is now concentrated into one tiny room. Having a vacuum will pick up the majority of dirt and will make your room a lot cleaner. The Bissell Featherweight Vacuum is small enough to fit really anywhere in your room and can switch to handheld easily. It is also helpful if a glass mason jar falls from your cabinet. Not like I’m talking from experience or anything…

Brita Products

Your Brita pitcher is going to be your best friend. Besides this, water fountains and plastic water bottles are your main sources of water. Since plastic water bottles are not exactly the most sustainable and water fountains may not be right near your dorm, a Brita is your best option. You can fill it in any sink and the water will come out filtered. I recently just bought a Brita water bottle and the ability to fill it anywhere has made it easy for me to fill my reusable water bottle essentially at any time. 

Sleepy girl in bed
Photo by Kinga Cichewicz on Unsplash

Sleep Mask

Ever since 2010, I’ve been sleeping with a sleep mask. Once I came to college, it has proven to be a very big help. The blinds in the dorm don’t exactly hide the sun and so without one, the sun can start to wake you up around 7 a.m. They can also help if you have a roommate who keeps her lights on until 3 a.m. Any kind of mask helps, but ones like this are similar to a type I prefer.

Although it seems daunting, there are plenty of resources for information on what you need in your dorm. Pinterest and Bed, Bath, & Beyond’s Guide lists really helped me, but remember that you can always order something if you need it. Happy shopping!

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Photos: Her Campus Media Library

Madison Renck

American '23

Madison is a Long Island, NY native who is a student at American University. She is a graphic design major in the College of Arts and Sciences. Besides writing, Madison has a love for superheroes, television and her dog, Winter. She participates in her university's Her Campus chapter & is secretary for a women's health organization called CHAARG.