TV Review: Selfie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Being friended is not the same as having friends.

Scottish-lass Karen Gillan is back on the small screen, this time in a leading role as self-obsessed, social media mogul Eliza Dooley in the newest ABC show Selfie.

A complete 180 from her character of Amy Pond on the hit British series Doctor Who, Karen plays Eliza, a social marketer for a large company who lives a self-obsessed life caring more about her status likes on Facebook and Twitter retweets than caring for those around her. She comes to her breaking point after a humiliating incident on an airplane, when she realizes that when she needs it most, she has no true friends to care for her. Turning to her co-worker Henry (played by John Cho), a marketing guru, Eliza hopes to turn her life and image around to make real friends.

Think of the makeover scene in The Princess Diaries where Julie Andrews’ character has to turn Anne Hathaway’s dorky character into a princess in a matter of days with a makeover and lots and lots of training.

Judging by the premiere episode, Selfie shows some promise. A charming show with two very appealing main stars, if you can get past the first five minutes of a disgusting vomit-filled scene and Eliza’s bitter attitude, you’ll find an interesting storyline and great chemistry between the characters. Another bonus is Karen’s adorable American accent!

Rating: 7/10

Catch Selfie airing Tuesdays at 8pm on ABC.

Photo credit: 1