Top Movies to Watch on a Snow Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

A few weeks ago, the East Coast experienced a major snowstorm, with snow totals up to around 3 feet or more. For many people, especially students, this was a time of excitement; since there was so much snow, the roads weren’t plowed meaning that schools and classes were cancelled! Many people took this time to sleep, catch up on homework, hangout with friends, or celebrate having no school. Snow days are also a great time for movie marathons, either by yourself in your cozy bed, or with friends while eating snacks. But what if you aren’t sure what movies to watch on your snow day? Well Her Campus is here to help! Here are some of what we think are great movies for you to watch on your snow day.

1. Mean Girls (2004)

A favorite chick flick for many girls, even twelve years later. Join Cady on her journey to join the popular girl group, The Plastics, while she tries to fit in in her brand new high school. With Tina Fey as Cady’s teacher, and Amy Poehler as a “cool mom”, this is a movie you will definitely be quoting even when classes resume.

2. The Lion King (1994)

A classic Disney film for all ages. With the amazing animations, beautiful storyline, and catchy songs, one watch of this movie and you and your friends will be singing “Hakuna Matata” and “The Circle of Life” all day.

3. Titanic (1997)

While this movie might appear sad and long, the music is beautiful and the story never gets old. Plus, I think we can all agree that Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet are the most ADORABLE couple EVER.

4. Frozen (2013) 

A snowy movie on a snowy day: what could be better! Plus, cute characters like Olaf are always a good addition. 

5. Clueless (1995) 

Just like Mean Girls, this is a chick flick that is definitely quotable. Even though it’s from the 90’s, it’s still a Netflix favorite. Plus, have you seen Cher’s wardrobe?! 

6. Scary Movie series (2000-2013) 

Although the title may throw you off if you aren’t that into scary movies, in reality, the movies are actually more comedic rather than funny. Pus, they feature big stars such as Anna Faris, the Wayans brothers, Carmen Electra, and more. 

7. Inside Out (2015) 

You absolutely cannot have a snow day movie marathon without this movie. As one of the best Pixar movies in my opinion, it will make you laugh, cry, and realize the importance of family. 

8. The Lizzie McGuire Movie (2003) 

The movie based off of the best Disney show EVER. Watch the movie based off the show that made Hilary Duff the famous character we all still know her as today. 

9. High School Musical trilogy (2005-2008) 

Not only is this a great trilogy to binge-watch on your snow day, but it also contains great songs to sing along to, and it will also help you to relive the Zanessa (Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens’ couple name) days. 

10. Grease (1978) 

Before you sit down and watch the live version of this movie on FOX, make sure you watch the original classic featuring Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta as the main characters. 

While we aren’t sure if there will be any major snowstorms coming soon, you are sure to be prepared for the next one (or a movie marathon on a sunny day) with these great titles! 

Photo Credits:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5