Top 5 Trends from NYFW: How to Wear Them Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

This week, the fashion elite, full of editors and It-girl models like Gigi Hadid and Binx Walton, traveled to Europe for the latest London, Milan, and Paris fashion shows. Back in the states, we’re still processing New York Fashion Week: the trends, the A-list front row sightings, the decadence of it all. We’ll be brought down from cloud nine once the price tags for those collections roll out later this year. Can’t wait till Zara and H&M save your bank account with the same trends for half the budget? Most of the trends from the Fall 2015 shows can be adapted into your winter wardrobe right now. You just need key pieces and a little imagination.

1. The Statement Coat

Seen at Mara Hoffman and Kate Spade, bold outerwear is a must for both warmth and style. Hoffman, usually known for her rainbow-colored swimwear lines, placed bright blues and oranges throughout her entire collection, but the standout piece was her faux-fur topper. If too much color gives you a headache, look for a faux-fur neutral – just skip black – that can add a finishing touch to everything from your jogger pants to a basic shift dress as winter comes to an end. U.K. based ASOS has a great supply. Keep an eye on the site and sign up for e-mails now; the company has been advertising tons of weekend sales for its winter gear. 

2. Athleisure

Looks like this trend won’t die this year. Alexander Wang and the designers behind Public School evolved athleisure – think fancy sweats, understated canvas slip-ons, and loose fits – for fall of 2015. This season, the gym-chic trend restructured shirtdresses and tracksuits – they’re not velour, so don’t freak out. It’s easy to find some nice sweats or leather sneakers at your favorite store if a staple isn’t already in your closet. Try pairing this button-down shirtdress from Forever 21 with leather tights – it’s still freezing outside- and sneakers to mimic the Public School look.

The big star of Fashion Week, Kanye West, basically presented an entire collection of athleisure clothing. Just channel Mr. West’s brigade of models drowning in monochromatic sweats and you’ll be ahead of the game. Seriously. You can either wait for the rapper’s Adidas Originals line to come out – some of the pieces are expected to hit shelves soon this year- or you can go thrifting for the exact same aesthetic. Sorry, Yeezus. College students can’t afford to spend a lot of money on glorified gym clothes.

3. Turtlenecks

Twists on the classic turtleneck were spotted on the runway at DKNY and Elizabeth & James. It’s so effortless and practical to sport this trend now and into spring. Added bonus: wearing this sweater style is like having an extra scarf on to protect you from the icy temperatures. Avoid the black, ultra-fitted turtleneck a la Funny Face; opt for a go-to winter hue like burgundy or purple. Reminder: “the fatter, the puffier, the fluffier, the bigger,” the better.

4. 1970s

Like fashion in general, designers borrowed from the past at NYFW. This year, the decade marked by disco and flared jeans inspired Karen Walker and J.Crew. Walker’s wild prints on mindresses are a little impractical right now.  Jenna Lyons and the team at J.Crew even found a way to make 70s pieces look fresh. Hit up the brand’s cousin Madewell for an essential chambray shirt and pair it with an old maxi from your closet. Perfect for a weekend out in the city during late March.

5. Simple Shifts, Bold Color

Work dresses and night dresses from the likes of everyone from Marissa Web, the new creative director at Banana Republic, to Prabal Gurung had a common theme: simple design and great color. RIP to the days when bodycon thrived. Zara has a great selection of colorful shifts at reasonable prices. As far as easy going-out dresses, you might have to do some serious browsing for the right cut for your body. River Island has a solid dress for under $30 that’s a little dainty so it requires some expert layering right now. Try it underneath a turtleneck or a coat. 

Photo Credits: Cover ImageMain1, 2345678910