This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

We’ve all seen those supposedly “recommended for you” movies and TV shows on our Netflix account that are really just promoting what everyone is already watching right now. But what if you really want to see a cool movie without having to dig through the archives of Netflix to find it? Well, look no further, I’ve done the work for you and came up with three Netflix movies from different genres that I hope you’ll enjoy.

The Little Hours

This movie may have popped up for you, but the trailer doesn’t exactly scream “watch me!” Shockingly, I did though, and I loved it. It has a great cast including Dave Franco, Alison Brie, Kate Micucci, Aubrey Plaza, John C. Reilly, Molly Shannon, and Fred Armisen that give it a Monty Python-like feel to it. It’s essentially a movie about three nuns in a convent run by Reilly (the priest) and Shannon’s (the head nun) characters in the 2nd century who are not exactly the best nuns you’ve ever seen. From lesbian love scenes to threesomes with the groundskeeper to accidentally taking psychedelic drugs to witch ceremonies, this movie has it all. It has dark humor, but its satirical twist on life in a convent won’t fail to make you laugh and think to yourself “what the hell am I watching?”

Breath

I had to go pretty deep to find this one, and it’s more of a drama, but it’s worth a watch. The story follows two unlikely friends, Loonie and Pikelet, growing up in Australia. The movie is narrated by Pikelet as an adult telling the story of the friends growing up and falling in love with surfing. But it’s not your average happy-go-lucky surf movie as the characters are complex and aren’t the happiest of kids. Loonie is reckless and comes from an abusive home, which makes him believe he’s not worth much. While Pikelet comes from a stable home and goes to a prep school, but is very reserved and often times relies on Loonie to make him step out of his comfort zone. They meet a man named Sando who was once a pro-surfer but became a bit of a hermit with his depressed and mysterious wife, Eva, in a small home by the beach where the boy’s surf. He takes them under his wing and teaches them about surfing while also helping them grow as people. There’s a surprisingly dark twist at the end of the film which I won’t spoil because you have to watch it and find out for yourselves, but I will warn you – it’s pretty dark. It’s a more melancholic movie, but I definitely recommend it for a rainy-day watch.

Chasing Coral

This is an amazing documentary that captures the stories of scientists across the world tracking and studying the disappearance of our oceans coral reefs. It’s a must watch if you want to learn more about the importance of our oceans when it comes to our livelihood as humans, especially the role coral reefs play in the complex ecosystems of the oceans. It shows the blunt realities of climate change while also showing how beautiful the ocean still is, and can continue to be if we change our ways. It’s the type of movie that makes you want to take action. I think I signed up for at least three ocean conservation organization’s email lists after watching this. It’s moving, it’s powerful, and it’s important.

Whether you’re looking to learn, laugh, or think, one of these movies will hit the spot. And if you’re still looking for more, here are a few honorable mentions you should check out. Enjoy!

Honorable Mentions: I Love You, Man, Last Night, Gaga: Five Foot Two, Heathers, Year One, Monty Python’s Life of Brian, Dismissed and The Addams Family (a personal favorite).  

(Image Credit: 1, 2, 3)

Wyatt Foster was raised in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. She is in the Global Scholars program at American University where she is studying International Studies with a focus on Identity, Race, Gender, and Culture. She took a gap year in 2018 with Global Citizen Year in Pambal, Senegal. Wyatt enjoys traveling, gardening, writing, reading, languages, and music.