This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

It has almost been a year since American University has transitioned to virtual instruction. With another spring semester upon us, it can feel like those college years are slowly slipping away without getting the full college experience. Here are six ways to ensure you have the best semester possible!

Make a Plan

The semester is starting! With an organized schedule and a little bit of time for yourself, you’ll go into the semester feeling more confident than ever! It is easy to get distracted, so planning early will ensure that you start the semester on a high note. Not everyone’s planners look the same, some use apps like Calendly and others use paper planners. With time, you will be able to find the perfect method for you!

Try Something New

Throughout the semester, having a routine can get boring after a while. That’s why it is important to make sure you take the time to research and explore new things. Whether it’s something as simple as cooking a new food or as extreme as writing a book, it will keep you excited and motivated throughout the semester!

Connect with Friends

With the semester being virtual,  it might feel impossible to form connections with your peers. If you are home this semester, try to maintain connections with people you went to high school with and connect with people in your hometown. Reach out to people in classes and make new connections. With so much going on in the world, it is important to have people that you can talk to whether it is to vent or to lean on for advice

Spend Time in Nature

Staring at the computer screen all day can be very tiring and it is important to step away even if it is for a few minutes. Whether your outdoor activity is walking the dog, hiking, running, ice skating, biking, or skiing, nature will make your day ten times better!

Hold Yourself Accountable

It’s important to follow through with the goals you set for yourself! While it’s important to listen to yourself and your body, remember that six months from now you can be where you want to be rather than in the same place!

Treat Yourself

Remember that it’s perfectly normal to take a break! It is important to treat yourself in order to power through the semester. With a fun dessert, a home-cooked meal, or an extra coffee, you will be able to power through the semester feeling a little more uplifted.

You are going to feel stressed out, you are going to feel disconnected, and you are going to feel tired. These emotions are completely normal and valid. We hope that these tips will allow you to have a more positive semester, one where you feel more in control.

Sources: 1

Photo Credit: Her Campus Media Library  

Gabrielle (she/her/hers) is a sophomore at American University majoring in elementary education and minoring in Spanish. She has been a writer since Fall 2020 and is the publishing director for our print magazine for Fall 2021. In her free time, she enjoys working with children and supporting diverse learners.
Annie Berlin

American '24

I am currently a CLEG major at American University and in my free time I like to write and color