Quvenzhane Wallis: The Annie Actress We Should All Be Watching

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

You may have heard her name a few years ago, surrounding 2012’s indie film, Beasts of the Southern Wild. Or you may have only heard of her this year, for being cast as Annie in the Will Smith-produced remake of the classic 1980s movie musical. Regardless, the name and face of this Louisiana native have been everywhere, and rightfully so. This, and the following are a few reasons why this young actress is one of our favorites.

1. She’s only eleven. In 2013, Wallis became the youngest actor in history to be nominated for a Best Actress Academy Award (for her role as Hushpuppy in Beasts of the Southern Wild). At eleven years old, she is already becoming a form of Hollywood royalty, and a source of competition for older, more experienced actors. Though she did not win her category, by simply being nominated, Wallis became the tenth African American actress to be nominated for Best Actress — a short list of actresses to which she can now add her name.

2. Her style. As a preteen, Miss Wallis is already showing grown adults how to dress with class. Within the past year, Quvenzhané has attended numerous red carpet events and film galas, and she has delivered each time with mature, yet age appropriate ensembles. Take a look at some of her fashion choices this past year:

(Apparently, outfits this fashion forward are made for preteens.) And speaking of clothing and style…

3. She is the face of a clothing line. This year, Wallis was named the face of Armani Junior, a luxury clothing company for kids and teenagers, making her the first child celebrity to be the face of a luxury clothing brand. As result of this announcement, Wallis not only has acting credits, but can now also add modeling to her resume. 

4.. She’s the new Annie. Remember little orphan Annie? The red-headed “Tomorrow” singer who sang her way to Daddy Warbucks’ heart? Well, this Friday, Annie’s trademark red hair will be substituted for a black, natural afro as Quvenzhané takes on the role of a modern day Annie. While our generation may forever envision Annie as the red head with freckles, younger generations and beyond may come to know Wallis as the Annie. That’s a high order for an eleven year old — to set the Annie standard for kids today — but with Wallis’ class and clear talent as evident in her previous roles, she will surely rise to the occasion.  

(If you hadn’t heard, Annie will also star veteran actors Cameron Diaz and Jaime Foxx, with much of the soundtrack by Sia. So look out for them as well!)

Age is but a number, and Quvenzhane Wallis is living proof of this quote. Be sure to check out Annie during your winter break, and keep a look out for what will surely be more greatness from Miss Wallis in the future! 

Photos:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Source(s):

1