Must-Have Fall Clothing Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

1. Layered textures

Fall is all about layering, and this outfit does a great job of incorporating different textures into the look. The textured lace dress is balanced out with the smooth texture of the leather jacket. The knit tights and the suede boots also contrast well, making the outfit more interesting and visually appealing. 

2. Leather/pleather detail

Leather detail can turn casual pieces into a chic ensemble. The black skater skirt is a versatile piece that can be incorporated with many different fall tops. Also, the maroon top adds deeper color to brighten up the black. 

3. Color blocking 

Color-blocking can improve an outfit, making it look crisp and put together. This outfit ties in the tan color block on the top by adding corresponding boots. The colors are tied together without looking too matchy-matchy

4. Shorts and leggings

This trend is a great way to incorporate some of your neutral-colored spring and summer shorts into your fall outfits, so you can get the bang for your buck. Keeping the outfit neutrally colored balances out the warm-weather aspect of the shorts. 

5. Tribal patterns

Tribal sweaters and tops can make an outfit interesting without making it overwhelming, not to mention how warm they are! Simple accessories, such as a solid leather watch or basic gold jewelry work well with tribal prints and can dress up a casual outfit. 

6. Plaid tops

Plaid tops add a rustic element to your outfit, which is perfect for attending a low-key event. When the weather gets colder, dress up your plaid top with a fun vest, like the faux fur one in the picture. 

7. Colorful coats

Adding a pop of color to your drab fall outfits can brighten your look out. Red is a perfect color because it isn’t too summery or bright. A long red coat could be transitioned into holiday attire in the winter as well. 

Photo credit: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Born in Peoria, Illinois, Taylor is an International Studies major at American University in Washington, D.C.. She  has a passion for fashion, style, and beauty writing, and she hopes to occassionally bring the political dynamic of D.C. into her articles.