The Most Unique Classes You Can Take at AU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Are you having trouble finding electives that are challenging and fun, and different from your major requirements that could add some spice to your class schedule?  Look no further!  Go off the beaten path and enroll in a class you wouldn’t normally consider.  Listed below are five of the most unique classes American University has to offer.

1. Monster Culture — College Writing (WTRG-101)

This course tackles the idea of monsters in culture and writing, whether the monsters be supernatural, physical, or deep in our own minds. Take this class if you dig all things spooky. 

2. Why Aren’t We Dead Yet? — Public Health (PUBH-115)

Not sure! A dark and intriguing hook for a dark and intriguing class, learn about the ins and outs of the public health system, and diseases and lifestyle choices that led to our planet’s present-day health identity. 

3. Changing Views of the Universe — Physics (PHYS-230)

This dynamic course explores the roots of physical science, the evolution of perspective on the universe, and what’s to come in the physical world in this universe. Take this class if you want to get your mind blown.

4. Magic, Witchcraft, and Religion — Anthropology (ANTH-330)

For the student who’s interested in using their college degree for a career in witchcraft or wizardry, and never received their letter from Hogwarts at the age of eleven.  This course explores historical Western and non-Western traditions on the subjects of magic, witchcraft, and religion, and the interconnectivity between spiritual arts.  

5. Contemporary American Culture: The Hunger Games —American Studies (AMST-330)

Your favorite dystopian trilogy is being used as a case study in this class taught in the fall by Professor Stef Woods.  The Hunger Games is used as a push-off point to examine structures of class, gender, and politics and how they influene and are influenced by society.  Take this class if you want to go beyond the boring and typical “Peeta vs. Gale” conversation, and explore the social reality behind the book series. 

Aside from these exciting classes, AU has already been credited with pushing the envelope when it comes to interesting and controversial class topics.  In 2012, American University professor Stef Woods taught a class on the 50 Shades of Grey trilogy (before the movie was released, of course).  The course garnered much attention in the media for its focus on female sexuality, social media, and domestic violence in 50 Shades of Grey for it was seemingly perceived as just an erotic novel.  Don’t be afraid to try one of these unique courses that AU has to offer that challenge the norm and incorporate aspects into classes that wouldn’t typically be found on a college curriculum. 

Photos: 1,, 3, 4, 5, 6