Ladies, Let’s Talk About Masculinity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Thankfully, and finally, the media covers feminism daily. The conversations we hear on gender equality help to break down gender roles. Despite these victories, there’s still some hesitation to talk about masculinity.

Re-thinking masculinity is taboo because we associate the term with men, and their gender receives so much power in our society. Because we sometimes doubt that men can be oppressed, light is not shed on the harsh expectations of masculinity.

Masculinites differ across the world, but in the U.S. masculinity holds strict expectations: provide for the family, be chivalrous and most importantly, hide all emotions. The latter is especially disastrous. Associating masculinity with “toughness” hinders men and women. This stereotype stops us from breaking out of ancient definitions on what makes someone a man or a woman.

Organizations at American University are opening up the debate on masculinity. AU’s Center of Diversity and Inclusion hosted a panel on masculine identities in late October. Experts included Dr. Lauren Weis, director of Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies, Dr. Davis S. Reitman, director at the Student Health Center, and Patrick Noel, student and founder of American’s chapter of Men of Strength.

Men and women on campus are struggling with the boundaries placed on gender in our hyper-masculine culture. Reitman mentioned how some students, especially men, are too ashamed to visit the counseling center. This comes from an inner “programming” to conceal emotions at all costs, said Reitman. 

So, how can we make masculinity as fluid as femininity? There isn’t a clear formula, but we can start by discussing insecurities that people who identify as masculine face. As long as we discuss these issues often, we may see a shift in how people look at masculinity and femininity. Remember: it’s not an “either/or” situation. Masculinity and femininity occur on a spectrum.

Photo Credits: 1