Ms. Marvel Takes On The Universe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Meet Ms. Marvel, a Muslim teen from New Jersey with shape-shifting powers. 

Created by Sana Amanat, G. Willow Wilson, and Adrian Alphona, Kamala Khan is the first Muslim character to headline her own comic book. This revolutionary character was created when Amanat, an editor at Marvel, was telling a fellow editors stories from her childhood about growing up as a Muslim-American in New Jersey. Since the announcement of Kamala Khan as the new Ms. Marvel, and the following publication of the first issues, the idea has been met with widespread reactions across the Internet, all addressing the newfound diversity of the industry. In various interviews Amanat and her fellow creators have expressed their excitement at the general positivity of the reactions. This positivity shows that the industry, and society, is ready to move forward and become more progressive, more accepting of minorities.

Sana Amanat has spoken at TEDxTeen, has been interviewed by CNN, and featured in the New York Times, among various other accolades. As a double minority–a woman and a Muslim –Amanat’s experiences have lent to her creation of Ms. Marvel, bringing a new, fresh perspective to the industry dominated by young, white teenage characters. At this year’s Comic Con, during Vulture’s “Carol Corps and Beyond: The Future of Female Fandom” panel, Amanat addressed Ms. Marvel, and the concept of intersectionality. This is when multiple sections of identity (race, gender, sexuality, etc) all come together. The fact that this was a popular and lively discussion, segueing into a discussion about feminism, is further proof of the idea that Ms. Marvel has opened up a door to diversity and acceptance. 

I am excited to say that I have known Sana Amanat for quite a while, and I recently had the opportunity to ask her a few questions about her own experiences as a woman of color, Ms. Marvel and more.

(Sana Amanat)

Her Campus American: How has being a woman of color shaped your perspective in terms of your job, and in terms of life in general?

Sana Amanat: Of course being a woman of color has shaped my existence and self perception. I hate that it has, but it has. That’s just the reality of growing up in a time and place where we are so influenced by our surroundings.  I grew up in a town that was mostly Caucasian–both the way they looked and the lifestyle they led were completely different than anything I was familiar with. And being a semi-introverted nerd, whose parents didn’t understand those differences, made it all the more difficult to be confident, to be comfortable in who I was. As a female, my parents were already protective of me,  and as a Muslim I had restrictions that other kids didn’t. I constantly felt constricted by walls of limitations. 

What made it even more difficult — was the perception of Muslims in the media. I belonged to a group that represented public enemy #1, and with that came a lot of feelings of self-doubt, anger and confusion. 

And so it took me time to find myself.  But the one thing I’ll say is that it forced me to really questions things I was told to believe. It gave me thicker skin to be able to handle myself in different situations.. to the point that I can work in an industry that is truly male dominated.  I found a way to make so many of my insecurities my strengths… or at least I’m trying to.  Also all that baggage is just SO tiring! 

HCAU: How did you respond to the reactions to Ms. Marvel?

SA: I guess Ms. Marvel is a culmination of so many moments in my life–and that’s probably why it’s so gratifying.  While I’m overwhelmed by the positive responses we’ve received, I’m so grateful that this book is able to connect with people in a way that’s meaningful.  It’s offering them something they never got growing up– a reflection of themselves.

(Ms. Marvel cover)

HCAU: Do you have any advice for women of color looking to pursue careers in fields that are largely dominated by white males?

SA: In terms of advice, all I can say is that its important to remember that all the uncertainties and insecurities you feel, everyone does…whether it’s a man or woman, minority or not. You’re only on an uneven playing field if you allow yourself to be, if you empower all the other negative voices, but not your own. You’re not a woman, you’re not a minority, you’re not any one thing– you are the person you decide to be, and that is exactly what the universe needs.

(Sana Amanat at New York Comic Con 2014)

As a woman of color myself — just like Sana Amanat and Kamala Khan — I can’t help but take pride in the fact that Ms. Marvel was met with such overwhelming positivity. Growing up, I never saw diverse representation. Television, movies, books — I could never truly relate to a single character, because none of them looked like me, none of them grew up the way I did. Seeing myself as a minority–and not represented–was disheartening. While I was lucky to grow up in a town that was ethnically diverse and embraced other cultures, it can still be discouraging to someone as impressionable and ambitious as I was, thinking that you can’t succeed because you don’t look similar to everyone else. It was not until people like Mindy Kaling, for example, burst onto the scene in the last few years that was I able to find a representation of myself in mainstream culture. It is people like Kaling, Amanat and many more who are paving the way for acceptance of diversity in our culture, finally representing the people who make up a significant part of our society.

Photo Credit: Jamie McKelvie & Matt Wilson, Judy Stephens, Annie Wu, Sana Amanat