Concert photography of Rex Orange County
Sophie Macaluso smac-photo.com

Kesha’s Comeback with “Here Comes The Change”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

“Is it a crazy thought that if I had a child, I hope they live to see the day when everyone’s equal?” multi-platinum artist Kesha sings in her latest single “Here Comes The Change,” a moving acoustic ballad that she released on September 19th.

The song, which she wrote for Supreme Court Associate Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg’s upcoming movie “On the Basis of Sex,” tackles the issue of the apathetic and cynical attitude many American citizens express toward politics and government. Its passionate lyrics urge listeners to avoid being politically passive and to use their voices, with Kesha encouraging people to show rather than speak the changes they want to see in America.

“Here Comes The Change” comes at a time of notable political polarization. Midterm elections are just around the corner (make sure you register to vote if you haven’t yet!), and widespread feelings of distrust and resentment toward the government and the media have spotlighted talk about the importance of getting out and voting.

Kesha effortlessly captures this conversation within the song’s lyrics video; teaming up with the non-profit organization HeadCount, she makes voting a central message of the video, which contains imagery of people casting ballots, volunteers from HeadCount handing people registration forms, and those who have registered proudly showing off their pins which proclaim, “The Future is Voting.”

Kesha has not been one to shy away from political conversations in the past; she was named as the first global ambassador of the Human Society of the United States in 2013, she’s an outspoken advocate for female empowerment, and she’s avidly involved herself in LGBT activism.

Kesha has also been involved in an on-going legal battle since 2014. Throughout the lengthy and emotional legal proceedings that have taken place over the past four years, Kesha has been outspoken about victims of abuse and assault. She wrote her 2017 single “Praying,” which she performed at the Grammy Awards earlier this year, about her experiences, with lyrics that encourage “learning to be proud of the person you are even during low moments when you feel alone.”

Artists like Kesha are urging people to be more conscientious about politics and the social climate around them, especially if they’re unhappy with the current state of the government. Celebrities are able to use their large social media platforms to speak up about different political and social issues, and Kesha seems fully aware of the impact her words can have on people’s lives.

“In watching [On the Basis of Sex], I was struck by how much Ginsburg was able to accomplish in her life, and at the same time, how much more there is to do in the fight for equality for all people,” Kesha told Refinery29 when inquired about writing her latest single. “It reminded me of — and strengthened — my belief that any single person can make lasting change, starting with one small action.”

“Here Comes The Change” is available for download/streaming on iTunes, Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music, and Google Play. Give it a listen as you’re registering to vote or applying for an absentee ballot for November’s election!

Nicole is a political science major at American University. She has been a writer for Her Campus since 2018 and an editor since 2019. She loves to write about politics, social activism and pop culture.