This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

During the height of the pandemic, in 2020, many people could only leave their homes to run essential errands, to work, and to go on long walks. “Hot girl walks” soared in popularity, as the most exciting thing to do became taking walks with family and friends. While we can now be around other people in a somewhat safe capacity, it’s worth noting how healthy and powerful a good walk can be.  That is why I attended an event hosted by CityGirlsWhoWalkDC this past week. 

CityGirlsWhoWalk is a larger organization started out of New York, that calls on all women to meet at an agreed location and simply, go for a walk. The purpose is to connect with other women, to get some fresh air, and to move your body around a little more than you might typically do on a Sunday afternoon. Since the group started walking, they’ve amassed more than 7,000 followers and have inspired walking groups in Charlotte, Philadelphia, Boston, Chicago, and of course, Washington, D.C.

At their fourth event, the group met near the Mt. Vernon Trail, just across the bridge from Georgetown. As I was walking down to the trail, I saw women from all directions closing in on that same location, and knew I was in the right place. It wasn’t long before I joined a large group of people gathering in the Mt. Vernon Trail parking lot, introducing themselves, talking about their days, and connecting with one another. 

The walk itself is typically between three and four miles, but there is no requirement to walk the whole length of the walk if that isn’t accessible for everyone. They have also hosted events before and after walks in the past such as picnics or drinks for those 21+, so that people can spend even more time getting to know one another.

One of the most exciting things about the City Girls is that anyone can be a City Girl. Once we began walking, I got to know some of the women around me. I met a Hill staffer, lawyer, several other students—women of all walks of life from around the DMV.

The group also has several subgroups throughout the various neighborhoods in the District, including Adams Morgan, Arlington, Capitol Hill, Columbia Heights, DuPont and several others. There’s a subgroup specifically to celebrate trans women and Women of Color, and even a subgroup for women who love Taylor Swift!
CityGirlsWhoWalkDC is a fantastic way to get out and get active, as well as connect with other women in the area. Their Instagram features all of the details for their next weekly walk, where even more women are planning on embarking on the ultimate hot girl walk. Join their GroupMe or follow along on their Instagram to join!

Hannah is a senior at American University. She's studying political science with a focus on race and gender in politics. She loves writing and baking, and can typically be found with a large iced coffee and a pair of knitting needles.