This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

As a student in Washington D.C., the pressure to get an internship is practically part of university culture. So after the job search is done and you accept that first internship position you worked so hard for, what comes next? Compiled here are five tips for succeeding at your first internship, all coming from first-hand experience. Read below to find out how to make the most out of your first job!

Ask questions.

Asking questions when you’re unsure about something not only shows maturity but will improve your work! Don’t be afraid to reach out to your boss or co-workers for help when you need it. You never know what you’ll learn. 

Take the initiative.

Have a project idea you’ve been dying to work on? Schedule a meeting with your boss and chat about it. Odds are they will be impressed with your leadership skills and trust you to take initiative on the project. It never hurts to ask!

Create and foster relationships.

Networking is key, but building and sustaining relationships with your coworkers is even more important. Take the initiative and grab coffee with that coworker that inspires you. Now, not only do you have a possible mentor, but a friendly face around the office.

Speak up.

You’re there for a reason. You were chosen because your employer sees potential in you and values your voice and your skills. So, share your ideas during the meeting. Pitch project proposals to your boss. Ask clarifying questions. You’ll be thankful you did. 

Enjoy your time there and have fun. 

Don’t forget to enjoy yourself! Get to know the other interns, attend company events, and get out of your comfort zone. Definitely take advantage of all the perks of the job! 

Victoria studies at American University with a major in PR and Strategic Communications and a minor in Entrepreneurship and Sustainability. She was born in Bulgaria but can also call Minneapolis home. Whenever she isn't writing for HC, you can find her doing yoga, traveling, or trying out a new restaurant. Victoria is passionate about environmental sustainability and is proud to be working with Rent the Runway as an ambassador.