This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Yesterday, you had two midterms and a presentation. Last week, you had a take-home midterm due. Today, you handed in a paper. You get home from class and immediately every part of your body starts to hurt. You feel liquid filling up in your head. Your throat feels scratchy and you feel the pain coming on. Exhaustion overwhelms you, and you collapse on your bed. Sound familiar?  It appears that you’ve caught a case of the midterm blues. Due to the changing weather (DC is pretty indecisive) and pent-up stress, you now have a cold on your plate, in addition to the work you still have to do after midterms are over.

Here are some tips to beat the stress and sickness! Stay healthy, collegiettes!

1. Wash your hands.

Seems like a given, for personal hygiene’s sake. But hand washing will also protect you from the spreading germs from everyone else who’s sick. Carry hand sanitizer in your purse or backpack, for extra security.

2. Stay hydrated.

Drink water, tea, coffee, Gatorade, juice, whatever you can before you’re sick and especially if you catch a cold. Keeping your body hydrated will help sustain energy and keep your body clean.

3. Know when you need to rest.

Listen to your body. You may have more exams, intern work, or club meetings, but taking a night, or even just a few hours to calm down and relax will benefit you in the long run. If you get sick, stay in bed to regain your strength and recover faster. Plus, you don’t want to spread your sickness, so everyone wins.

4. Dress appropriately.

Of course, we all know that going outside with wet hair won’t really give you a cold. But protecting your body and keeping yourself warm and dry will make all the difference. Even if your backless top for going out is adorable, wear a jacket and stay healthy!

5. Exercise when you can.

This can help to prevent sickness, reduce stress, and promote healthy living overall. Of course, if you become ill, don’t try and squeeze in a workout. But having a consistent routine can help to keep your body working smoothly.

What are some of your best ways to fight stress and sickness?

Photo credit: 1 2 3 4 5
Erin Vail

American

Erin is a senior Communication Studies major at American University. The loves of her life include sports, TV, and food.