How to Ace Your Skincare Routine in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

I’m going to state the obvious: the transition from summer to fall has everyone’s skin looking absolutely terrible.

It’s safe to say that everyone is dealing with weird breakouts, dry patches, uneven skin, and this whole “texture” thing.  Now, if we all had the money to do so, these problems could be fixed with limitless facials and pricey exfoliators, but seeing as this website is targeted towards college girls, I’m going to make it as easy as possible for us all to have our best skin days every day (and without having to spend hundreds of dollars).

Step One: Remove the Gunk on Your Face

Every night plenty of girls alike face the same dreaded decision: to ruin my pillowcase or not.  Removing your makeup is the first and most important rule to good skincare, since this enables your skin to breathe and rejuvenate after a long day. Try using standard makeup wipes or, an easier option, a micellar water by brands like Simple or Garnier, which will make that smudgy mascara vanish with a single swipe of a cotton pad.

Step Two: Use the Right Tool

Using just your hands to cleanse your face may work on the surface but won’t go any deeper. This is why using a simple tool in conjunction with your cleanser can take your face from a 5 to an 11 on a scale of 1-10. Though devices like the Clairsonic and Foreo work beautifully, they also work at a not-so-beautiful price tag.  Instead, a simple kognac sponge can work wonders, which is a product you can purchase affordably at your local drugstore. Using a small amount of cleanser on a kognac sponge will gently exfoliate your skin and will really help you scrub off any excess oils/buildup from the day.

Step Three: Cleansers and Exfoliators

Skin ranges from dry to oily and everything in-between, which is why cleansing your skin can change that feeling in an instant. For dry skin, go for a hydrating cleanser like Cera Ve. For oily skin, try something along the lines of St. Ives’ Green Tea Cleanser. For all the girls stuck in the middle, Formula 10.0.06’s Best Face Forward works wonders (trust me, I use it every day and night). Surface cleansing is great but make sure to get into those pores too. Try to exfoliate once a week to give your skin a fresh slate. I recommend using Neutrogena’s Pink Grapefruit Scrub for this, it’ll be sure to make your face feel baby smooth.

Step Four: Treat Yo Skin

After all that cleansing and exfoliating, give back to your skin! First, to tone your skin in order to get your pH levels in check, I suggest Formula 10.0.06’s So Totally Clean, but natural witch hazel on a cotton pad works just as well. Next, give your skin some loving and massage in a serum (these can range in prices but TJMaxx always has a wide variety for super cheap). Finally, moisturize every inch of your face (make sure it includes an SPF to fight the signs of premature aging), including those undereyes!!!

Step Five: Basic Human Needs

Drink more water! I can’t stress this enough, it is so important to hydrate not only your skin but the rest of your body. Water fixes everything!

Hopefully this helped all in dire need of a skin rejuvenation session and all those in need of taking that perfect #nomakeup selfie. Embrace skincare and enjoy your beautiful, glowing, healthy complexion!

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Amber Khalid is a Freshman at American University in Washington, DC who is currently studying International Relations. She's a total art history nerd, frequent world traveler, thrift junkie, and bird connoisseur.  She lives for all things fashion, on and off the runway, and can do makeup like it's no one's business.  In her free time, you can find her watching beauty gurus on YouTube in her dorm room or cramming for an Arabic test in her local Barnes and Noble.