This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

Look, I get it. Really, I do. Exams are coming up, lots of exciting events are happening, and most of us are experiencing heaps of stress (to say the least). Keeping our skin healthy isn’t exactly the highest item on the priority list. But what if I told you the secret to healthy, glowing skin is only five minutes away? Here is your master guide to creating the perfect skin care routine for you!

First, determine your skin type.

Here’s a handy infographic:

Now that you’re familiar with your skin type, let’s talk how to craft a routine!

The most basic skin care routine requires three things:

1.         A cleanser (no brainer) – This will relieve your skin of all built up dirt, oil, and makeup from the day.

2.         Toner – A great toner will help restore the pH levels of your delicate facial skin and control oil production.

3.         Moisturizer – An effective moisturizer will keep your skin supple without feeling greasy or causing clogged pores.

Let’s start with a cleanser. I’d highly recommend a cleansing water, like Simple’s Cleansing Micellar Water ($7.99)  This type of cleanser will work with all skin types!

Cleansing “waters” are one of the skin care world’s newer inventions. For a bright and refreshed complexion, massage a few drops into your skin for around 30 seconds to a minute. Rinse and gently pat dry.

Next on your routine should be a gentle toner like this one from Neutrogena ($7.99). Attention – those with Dry or Sensitive skin may skip this step, but, don’t hesitate to test out lots of products to see what makes your skin the happiest!

Alcohol free toners like this are great because they help reset the delicate pH levels of facial skin without stripping the moisture away. Just dab a little onto a cotton pad, apply all over the face, and let set.

For Normal, Combination, and Sensitive types I recommend a mild moisturizer like Clean and Clear’s Dual Action Moisturizer ($6.99).

For Oily types, I recommend an oil free, gel moisturizer like Garnier’s Moisture Rescue Refresh Gel Cream ($8.99).

Last but not least, girls with Dry skin should try good ole’ Cetaphil. Their Moisturizing Cream ($9.99) is great for keeping dry skin soft and flake free all day.

Apply a dime-sized amount of the moisturizer of your choice all over your face in circular motions in the morning and before bed. Finish with sunscreen (it’s very important – I know you forget!), and you’re ready to tackle the day!

In addition to your new, totally awesome skin care routine, here are a couple of mid-week pick-me-ups to keep your skin healthy and refreshed:

Use an exfoliator 1-2 times a week to keep dead skin at bay and reveal fresh skin underneath. I’ve been loving Aveeno’s Skin Brightening Daily Scrub ($7.99).

Sheet masks are also a really fun way to give your skin a boost (and you’ll give yourself a nice laugh while wearing it)!

Tony Moly makes a wide variety of affordable and insanely cute sheet masks, like their I’m Real Aloe Mask Sheets ($3.75).

That concludes this master class for basic college skincare! Now that you have the keys to skincare success, go out there and let your beautiful skin shine!

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Tuesday at 8pm in the Morcott Room.

Claire Biggerstaff is a senior at Davidson College where she's pursuing a major in English. Since her sophomore year, she's been heavily involved with Her Campus and has written for her school's chapter, interned with Her Campus Media, and eventually became the Editor in Chief of her home chapter. Her work as also appeared on publications like Babe.net and The Odyssey. When she's not researching news stories or holding editing workshops with her writers, you can find her enjoying an episode of The X-Files and thinking about how much she loves autumn.