Hallmark: The Underrated Channel We All Need

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Since around seventh grade, I have been an avid Hallmark Channel fan. I have seen almost every movie released and watch one of its TV series religiously. However, I generally find myself without company as a Hallmark fan of my age. It seems that the Hallmark Channel is rarely discussed, particularly among young people. It frequently falls under the shadows of other, more popular cable television channels such as HBO and ABC Family. Generally associated with cheesiness, cliches, and overwhelmingly predictable plots, there are many aspects of the Hallmark Channel that may detract rather than attract viewers who want to feel excitement when watching television. But the more we consider it, are these qualities so bad?

Hallmark is more frequently discussed around Christmas time — lauded for its feel-good Christmas movies that are perfect for the holidays. After the Christmas season however, the Hallmark hype dies down and it retreats to the shadows. What many don’t know is that Hallmark is more than its Christmas movies: it is a blooming channel that provides the joy of the Christmas season all year long.

The Hallmark Channel creates its own content, producing movies and, more recently, a few series with a unique sweetness unlike other channels. During the year, roughly two movies are released every month, providing fresh, innocent entertainment. In the past year, Hallmark also released three new series: Signed, Sealed, Delivered; When Calls the Heart; and (my personal favorite) Cedar Cove — which offer longer storylines that can be appealing to viewers who prefer more complex plots.

I have heard the argument that Hallmark is more suitable for older viewers, but what is necessarily “old” about happiness and innocence? Hallmark produces positive, innocent, joyful plotlines, which are relevant to all ages. When criticizing Hallmark for it’s too-optimistic characters and endless happy endings, think — What is the problem with watching shows that are predictable? Is it so bad to watch a program with a little too much happiness? In our society, we are frequently bombarded with horror stories — through news or through films and television shows that use these plots as entertainment. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but every so often, it can be a relief to sit on the couch and watch a movie devoid of murders, violence, and explicit content. We are regularly exposed to the extremes of sad endings, crimes and gloom. In tuning in to the Hallmark Channel, we can, for once, remind ourselves that while negative extremes exist, the positive extremes exist too. There are good people in the world, beautiful places that we have yet to see, and dreams that, for many, have actually come true. The Hallmark Channel forces its viewers to think of their own fortunes, happy places, and loved ones.

This is not to say that Hallmark never takes on challenging topics. In various movies, Hallmark has acknowledged the topics of death, divorce, neglect, infidelity, sickness, and other saddening issues. The difference between Hallmark’s approach to these themes and other channels’ approaches is that Hallmark still allows the story to end hopefully. Hallmark shows us the joyous possibilities that can follow tragedy. Of course, positive solutions to dire problems will not be the result for everyone, but hope and optimism is key — a message that Hallmark consistently delivers to its audiences.

Hallmark’s tagline is “the heart of TV,” — a slogan that could not be more apt, and that also summarizes why I have been a Hallmark Channel fan since middle school. Hallmark adds a touch of heart to every film and episode it releases. It is nearly impossible to watch a Hallmark movie or show and not smile in reaction to the feel-good themes, or in reaction to the borderline laughable cheesiness of its plots. Regardless, a smile is a smile, and Hallmark gives our soceity, young and old, the much needed opportunity to crack one.

Fun fact: Though Hallmark is notorious for introducing fresh actors and actresses to television, some movies star already recognizable actors. Have you ever wondered where some of your favorite stars from childhood are? Many are featured in Hallmark movies, including Lacey Chabert (Mean Girls), Bailee Madison (Bridge to Terabithia), Drew Seeley (Another Cinderella Story), Danielle Panabaker (Read It and Weep) and Alexis Bledel (Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants). And for old movie lovers–remember Andie Macdowell from Groundhog Day? She is currently starring in Hallmark’s hit Saturday night series, Cedar Cove. Look out for familar facess next time you are watching The Hallmark Channel!

Pictures: 1

Collage: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10