The Lalathree Friends Standing By A Brick Wall
Her Campus Media
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

For most students, school features a new array of club meetings, speakers, lectures, exhibits and more happening each week. It’s easy to miss events if you’re not looking out for them, and as the semester is finally starting to pick up, the university’s calendar probably isn’t in the forefront of your mind.

If you can relate and would like to be more aware of any upcoming events, here’s a list of some of February’s biggest dates/events at AU! Specific details regarding the locations and times of these events, as well as the full list of happenings on campus next month, can be found online using American University’s master calendar.

• 2/4: Black History Month Self-Care Table. This two hour tabling event will include tips for self-care practice for Black-identified students, faculty, and staff.
  • 2/5: Bobby Seale Speaks at AU. Bobby Seale, a civil rights activist and the co-founder of the Black Panther, is coming to speak at American. There will be a book signing before and after the event. Look here for more information.
  • 2/6: AU Abroad France Information Session. Are you interested in studying abroad in France? Come to the AU Abroad information session to learn more about the exciting programs in France!
  • 2/12: CAS Career Night Series: Sociology. Receive sociological career-related tips and advice from professionals who have launched diverse and rewarding careers.
  • 2/20: “Reporter” – A Conversation with Seymour Hersh. Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative journalist and best-selling author Seymour Hersh joins Investigative Reporting Workshop Executive Editor Charles Lewis to talk about his 50-year career uncovering some of the U.S. government’s biggest secrets. The free program includes a reception and book signing by the author of Reporter: A Memoir.
  • 2/20: Exploring Social Justice – The Green Amendment. Maya van Rossum’s talk at AU will seek to discuss and inspire a new tool for environmental preservation, one that will provide a new way of thinking about, and pursuing, environmental protection from a policy as well as a legal perspective.
  • 2/21: Bridging the Gap, AU Women in Startup. Join the American University Incubator, the Alumni Association, and Student Activities for a powerful night of networking and stories about women in entrepreneurship. The night will consist of a panel discussion with a networking reception to follow
  • 2/18: AU Student Philanthropy Council Tabling Events. It’s Founders Week 2019! Come visit the AU Student Philanthropy Council to learn about why it is important to give back to the university during this special time of year for AU.
  • 2/21: Healing Circle for Black Students, Staff, and Faculty. This 2 hour event will include an informal discussion on self-care in the current sociopolitical climate, experiential activities, speakers, and catered soul food.
  • 2/25: Assumptions about Race. A workshop centered around assumptions about race, held by the Center for Diversity and Inclusion.
  • 2/27: Freelancers: Between Headlines and Hope. A 90-minute encounter between media creators, disseminators and consumers exploring ways to support and to protect freelance journalists working overseas.
  • 2/28: Twelve Angry Jurors. Open Dialogue Theatre’s performance of Twelve Angry Jurors preceded by a potential pre-show discussion of the show’s themes with a professor from Washington College of Law.

Hopefully a few of these events listed have piqued your interest and will inspire you to check them out next month! And don’t forget to check out the social media accounts of AU and each of the different schools within the university. Twitter and Facebook are two great ways to stay updated on upcoming events, especially ones related to academia.

Nicole is a political science major at American University. She has been a writer for Her Campus since 2018 and an editor since 2019. She loves to write about politics, social activism and pop culture.