Eagles Head Coach, Megan Gebbia, Becomes The Winningest Coach in AU Women’s Basketball History

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Karlee Zolman 

Wednesday Feb. 5 the American University Women’s Basketball team celebrated Pride Night against the Bucknell Bison where head coach, Megan Gebbia, had her 151st win, making her the winningest coach in the history of AUs women’s basketball program.  

The Eagles held a tight game in the first half, with Lauren Stack scoring the first point within a minute of the game’s start,

Riley DeRubbo scored a three in the second quarter, bringing the score to 27-23 at halftime, in favor of the Bucknell Bison. 

After halftime, The Eagles quickly took the lead, ending the third quarter 43-36 over Bucknell and finished the game with a win scoring 56 points over Bucknells 48. 

AUs assistant coach Nikki Flores, said, “It was huge, what a bounceback from the weekend,” where AU lost 74-60 against Colgate University. 

This game ended up being a historic day for the Eagles, with coach Gebbia breaking the school’s record with 151 wins in her time as the women’s basketball coach. 

Coach Gebbia gave credit to her staff of nine years, “It’s not just me. It is all of us, current players, former players, and the same staff. They put their heart and soul into what we do and it paid off.” 

After a history of defeat from Bucknell, this win and record was even more satisfying. 

Flores said, “It felt glorious to beat Bucknell on coach Meg’s record breaking win.”

She also noted Gebbia’s humble victory. “She didn’t think about it until after the fact when she was like ‘uh oh I feel like either I’m gonna get drenched with water or somethings gonna happen.’ and yeah, we got her.” 

The team surprised their head coach with a sea of silly string to celebrate after the game. 

Not only does the staff have a lot to say about Coach Gebbia, her team does too. 

Emily Fischer, said that the win and record, “demonstrates how hardworking she is to get us on the same page.” Fischer said, “ It’s been great to get to be apart of that experience for her.” 

Ivy Bales said, “She says all the time in film that she’s a fighter and I think this just goes to show and prove that she is,” and, “She tries to instill that in all of us.”

This game was a fight from start to finish. 

“I really like how Fischer played .I thought she played how we needed her to play in order to win the game. I think it starts with her and ends with her alot of times,” Gebbia said, “She fought her rear end off today and got beat up a little bit because of it. She’s a fighter.”

The Eagles won this fight with the help of coach Gebbia and are finishing up their, what Flores calls, “revenge week,” playing Boston U this Saturday Feb 12, at 2pm in Bender arena. 

Congratulations coach Gebbia and go Eagles! 

Karlee Zolman

American '24

Karlee (she/her) is a fourth year student at American University, majoring in Journalism. This is Karlee's third year writing for Her Campus and first year as AU's print co-editor. In her free time, Karlee enjoys writing, dancing and going to concerts in DC!