This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Name: Kyra Manson

Hometown: Flemington, New Jersey

HCAU: How did you get your name?

Kyra Manson: Well, my mom saw the name “Kyra” on the side of a truck and really liked it. One of my dad’s coworkers was also named Kyra so he went for it too.

HCAU: What is your favorite thing to do back in Flemington?

KM: Since there is nothing to do in Flemington I usually just watch TV. But sometimes I like going to mid-Jersey to go see a movie at the mall.

HCAU: Speaking of, what is your favorite movie?

KM: “Love Actually!”

HCAU: What are you going to be for Halloween?

KM: Well, I was originally going to be a bunny. But after looking through my clothes I’ll probably be a devil since all I really need is a red shirt.

HCAU: What is your favorite Halloween candy?

KM: Reese’s peanut butter cups, but they have to be shaped like pumpkins.

HCAU: What is your major?

KM: Public Health. I really want to go to medical school.

HCAU: What is your dream job?

KM: Probably a pediatrician. I love working with kids, which is also why I like coaching for NCAP and coaching really little kids back home. But if it could be anything, then maybe a cake decorator or baker.

HCAU: How has it been adjusting to your first year at American?

KM: I thought it would be a lot more difficult than it had been especially because I am a transfer student. But being on the swim team has made it a lot easier to make friends and there are a lot of people I can ask for advice. One of my teammates, Paige, is also a transfer student so she has been helpful since I got to campus as well.

HCAU: What has been the hardest part of adjusting to AU?

KM: Definitely getting used to the small class sizes. At my last school I had all lectures, but here my biggest class is only 30 people. So the level of engagement in class is a lot higher than I’m used to.

HCAU: What is your favorite thing you’ve done so far in D.C.?

KM: Shopping in Georgetown and getting Georgetown cupcakes. Also, during Welcome Week the swim team went to a Nationals’ game together which was fun.

HCAU: What is one thing you still want to do in D.C.?

KM: Go to the Spy Museum. My sister has been there before and loved it.

HCAU: Where is your favorite place to eat on campus and what do you get?

KM: Freshii! And I always get a Tex Mex burrito with chicken.

Photo Credit: 1, 2 provided by Kyra Manson

Suzanne Davis

American '22

Suzie is a freshman at AU and a member of the AU Women's Swim Team. She is currently studying international relations and hails from Upstate NY.