5 Tips on Beating the Winter Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Winter is long and awful.  That’s all there is to it.  Every year it comes and goes, swallowing us up and spitting us back out.  Each December it deceives us by dangling peppermint lattes, Christmas, and potential snow days in front of our clueless faces.  We think that winter might be kind of cute.  We can wear cute sweaters and cute boots and maybe even snag a cute girlfriend or boyfriend to be so cute with. This is all a lie. Instead of being so cute everyday, once the cozy days of December end we are forced to fight through the winter winds just to make it through the short days and long nights.  It’s the middle of February and we are nearing the homestretch leading to warm weather and cherry blossoms in the spring, so here are a few tips on how to brave the last few weeks of winter. 

Stay Active

Whether it’s working out hard at the gym, or going for a run outside on a sunny day, it’s important to stay active in the winter months.  Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is real and damaging, and even if you don’t have issues with depression, it’s easy to get down on yourself in the dark months.  Working out is a good way to keep your mind clear and focused.  Find a workout that suits you — either go to the gym when you have the chance, or attend yoga or Zumba classes to break up the monotony of the week!

Soak up the Sun 

Winter days are terribly short, so make sure you spend some time each day out in the sun before it gets dark and gloomy.  Maybe on a day that isn’t below freezing, do some homework outside, go for a walk with some friends, or enjoy a hot cup of coffee on the quad and soak up the sun. 

Shine Bright 

I’m starting a petition to rename Winter ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’. I hope you all sign it.  The typical wardrobe at this time of year consists of mostly gray, blue, or black, and these colors wash together and cloud our vision of the beautiful world around us.  Spice up your life and add some color — wear bright staple pieces, like a red winter coat or funky high-tops.  Shine bright and stand out!

Bust a Move

It’s the middle of the semester, and it’s easy to get caught up in your comfortable routine. You love your routine. Your routine loves you.  You and your routine are actually pretty co-dependant, so it’s probably a good idea to get some space.  Try to break up long weeks by skipping your standing date with the library and getting some work done at one of the awesome coffee shops in D.C.  And rather than hanging around your dorm on a lazy weeknight, go see a show at the Black Cat or the 9:30 club.

Snuggle Down

If you’re feeling down, don’t feel bad about curling up in bed and watching Netflix or reading a book with a cup of tea.  Life can get crazy and exhausting, and it’s important to know your personal limits.  It’s completely okay to sit back and chill when it’s especially chilly outside. 

Photo: 1, 2, 3, 4, 56