5 Influential Black Figures You Didn’t Learn About in History Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Happy February! But more importantly, Happy Black History Month! This is the month of the year we celebrate the famous African-American leaders and revolutionaries of history, like Martin Luther King, Jr., Malcom X, and Rosa Parks. While these leaders were undoubtedly some of the most important people in history, don’t you ever wonder about the great African-American groundbreakers that didn’t make the history books?

Eugene Bullard:

With probably the coolest nickname ever, ‘The Black Swallow of Death’, Bullard was the first African-American military pilot. He fought in both World Wars, and received fifteen (count ‘em, fifteen!) decorations for his service as a pilot. Not only did he do this, but he was also a professional boxer, jazz musician, French spy, and an elevator operator in Rockefeller Center. I think we can officially say he holds the title of “The Most Interesting Man in History.”

Josephine Baker:

We had the most interesting man in history, but now it’s time for the ladies to shine. Baker was a dancer, singer, civil rights activist, actress, and was the first African-American woman to star in a major motion picture; but these weren’t even the coolest things about her. Because of her effortless charm and beauty, she was recruited as a spy for the French Resistance during WWII, where she gathered information by schmoozing high-ranking German officials. After the war, when she performed in France, she would bring her pet cheetah on stage with her. Of course, being a fashion icon, it was a must that her cheetah was adorned with a diamond collar and leash. In addition to all this, she also managed to rock the pixie cut.

Althea Gibson:

Ladies, if you like looking cute in tennis skirts and being better at sports then men, Althea Gibson is your new idol. Often considered the ‘Jackie Robinson’ of tennis, she was the first African-American tennis player to compete at the U.S. National Championships, and Wimbledon, winning multiple times in both tournaments. As well as this, she was the first person of color to win a Grand Slam title. All in all, she won 11 Grand Slam titles and 56 national and international singles and doubles titles.

Madam C.J. Walker:

Step aside Bill Gates, and say hello to the original millionaire. Walker was the first woman in the United States to become a self-made millionaire, and she did it by selling hair products. Starting out as a dish washer earning just a dollar a day, she learned something that many women in 19th century didn’t know: you should wash your hair. She developed and sold her own hair products, eventually created her own company, and became a prominent figure in female and African-American business circles. Madam Walker teaches us all an important less: even if you don’t have a Kogod degree, you can still profit off other people’s poor hygiene.

Jean Baptiste Point du Sable:

Calling all Chicagoans! If you love your windy city, then you have this man to thank for it! Besides having an incredibly long and French name, Baptiste is considered the very first resident of good old Chicago, Illinois. After a life of being a spy for American revolutionaries and being arrested by the British, our war veteran decided to set up camp on the north bank of the Chicago River. Unfortunately, there are no actual photographs of him, but I like to picture him as Ron Swanson in the episode “Animal Control.”

Happy Black History Month!