Ways to Have a Great and Inspiring MLK Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

As many of you probably know by now, this coming Monday marks another holiday: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. As a pivotal voice of the Civil Rights Movement, Martin Luther King, Jr still serves as a voice of optimism as we continue to face civil rights challenges today. While the long weekend may be a great excuse to catch up on some extra sleep, it is also a wonderful opportunity to consider participating in discussions, visiting exhibits, or even watching some films that honor Dr. King’s life and legacy. Below are some great ways to spend the long weekend around the city!

1. Visit the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial.

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge of controversy.”

Located near the Smithsonian Metro stop, the MLK Memorial is a relatively new, yet powerful monument that displays a large impression of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. If you visit the monuments, make sure to pay attention to the quotes etched on the side! To make your visit even more complete, be sure to schedule a tour or visit the nearby local bookstore. Check out the website for more details!

2. Study at the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library

Just in case syllabus week stressed you out and you want to get ahead in your class, spend some time studying at the MLK Memorial Library this weekend! It’s conveniently located near the Chinatown Metro stop and is a great place to study. But if you’re in need of some entertainment (or further procrastination) the library is also hosting a Poetry Extravaganza this Saturday (1/17) and the Black Space exhibit, which gives visitors the opportunity to participate in an art exhibit by simply sharing their memories and experiences of D.C. See more events and details on their website.

3. See Selma.

There’s no better way to spend the weekend than watching the Oscar nominated film Selma! The film shows the dramatic events surrounding the 1965 Freedom Marches, and illustrates some of the obstacles Martin Luther King Jr faced during his life. Check out the full synopsis from the Oscars website.

P.S. AMC Georgetown 22 and the AMC Mazza Gallery are showing Selma this weekend!

4. Attend one of AU’s teach-ins, discussions, or workshops.

Although these two events take place after MLK weekend, consider checking them out as a way to continue some interesting and controversial conversations.

SIS Community Dialogue: How to Create Greater Understanding Across Race and Ethnicity

Tuesday, January 20, 1:00-3:00PM, Founders Room SIS

This discussion will allow anyone in the AU community to discuss the repercussions of events in Ferguson, New York, and other cities around the country. Come out to learn how to be a better ally, breakdown racial stereotypes, and continue the dream of social justice and racial equality.

Teach In For Justice: Civil Rights and the 21st Century

Saturday, January 24, 10AM-5PM, Tavern

This teach-in, open the AU community, will feature performances, discussions, and workshops surrounding issues of race and justice in today’s society. Be sure to pre-register for this event, as space is limited.

4. “If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito.” ~Betty Reese

While there the options above are great ways to spend your long weekend, you do not have to go to a particular event to honor Dr. King. In his words, “If you lose hope, somehow you will lose the vitality that keeps life moving, you lose that courage to be, that equality, that quality that lets you go on despite of it all. And though today, I still have a dream.” If you don’t even leave your dorm this weekend, hope, optimism, friendship, and tolerance are key values that Dr. King wanted so much for this country. Keep the hope, promote the peace, and keep Dr. King in your thoughts this holiday weekend.

Happy Dr. King Day!

Photos:

12, 3, 4

Sources:

1, 2, 3, 4