absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The 5 Food Blogs You Should Be Reading

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

I probably own about 50 cookbooks, of which I now hardly read, except to flip through and ogle the pictures. I love my cookbooks, really, but I’ve become so enthralled in the world of food blogs that they are now the only place I turn to when I need an idea for dinner, a mug cake recipe or a strategy for using the two pounds of leftover kale I have in my fridge after impulsively buying a three-pound bag.

Food blogs are inherently enticing with their high-resolution, macro images of fresh, beautifully plated food. But, they offer much more than just drool-worthy pictures. My favorite blogs are the ones that inspire me to take risks; they motivate me to try something I never thought I could make and even try something completely new. These blogs are also often written by people with whom you form a bond with after reading post after post about the details of their lives. We form connections over food, because eating and cooking can sometimes give us a much needed escape from reality.

I find myself trusting the recipes on my favorite food blogs because I trust the people that made them, and I can identify with the aspects of their lives that led them to make those double fudge brownies at two in the morning or a steaming bowl of soup in the dead of winter.

So here are my favorite food blogs that have provided me some of my go-to recipes and have ultimately made me a better cook. Check them out, because they definitely won’t disappoint!

1. How Sweet It IsHow Sweet It Is is dishing up some of the most delicious, unique recipes you will ever come across. With everything from indulgent comfort food to healthy breakfasts to insane desserts, blog writer Jessica will pretty quickly become your new virtual best friend. Some of my favorite recipes from the blog are the marinated kale and whipped ricotta pizza, savory romano crusted French toast and lightened up beef enchiladas.

2. Half Baked HarvestBlogger Tieghan has been in the food blog game since she was 13, and her hard work has paid off in the form of a beautiful site where she posts her own recipes and gorgeous pictures. As a chocoholic, you can find a plethora of crazy, over-the-top chocolate desserts like a chocolate fudge swirled lemon ricotta tart and molten chocolate pumpkin streusel bread on her blog. Her savory dishes are just as adventurous though with some of my top picks being the spicy black bean and lentil chili or the Tuscan summer minestrone.

3. Love and LemonsLove and Lemons is written by Jeanine, a lover of all things veggie. She embraces seasonal, fresh produce in every dish, and features healthy, vegetarian recipes that are super easy to make. Check out the pumpkin hummus quesadillas or vegan soft baked pretzels, which I guarantee will make you unable to buy a pretzel at the mall ever again.

4. Gimme Some OvenAli’s blog is part foodie central, part lifestyle blog with a mix of delicious, fresh and easy recipes prefect for sharing with friends as well as advice on everything from DIY projects to photography to relationships. Her buffalo hummus and 5-ingredient kettle chip caramel chocolate fudge are perfect examples of the kind of fool-proof recipes you can find at Gimme Some Oven.

5. Sprinkle BakesIf you ever find yourself with a serious hankering to bake, go straight to Sprinkle Bakes, a beautiful baking blog started by southern belle, Heather. Many of her recipes are adventurous baking endeavors, like the black forest dome cake and harlequin truffle roulade, but you can also find some less complicated treats like the deep dish banoffee pie and confetti cupcakes with cake batter frosting.

If checking out these new sites has converted you into a blog binger, sign up on the site Bloglovin’ to see all your favorite blogs in one place. Its essentially the Facebook of the blogging world, and I promise, it’s just as addictive.

Photo Credits: 1, 23