5 American University Life Hacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Over the course of my freshman year at American University, I’ve learned a few tricks that I thought I would share (in case you didn’t know them yet). Hopefully, these are helpful to you!

1. Have mac n’ cheese anytime at TDR.

Have you ever swiped into TDR only to find that nothing is edible? Or had a crazy craving for mac n’ cheese, and it isn’t Wednesday? Well, now you can always have some of your favorite comfort food anytime! Just grab a bowl, fill it with pasta, sprinkle shredded Cheddar Cheese (from the salad bar) on top of your pasta, and microwave and stir. Voilà!

2. Use the utility elevator in Anderson.

Have you ever dreamed of having your own personal elevator? If you’ve ever lived in the Anderson-Centennial community, then you understand the struggle of experiencing awkward and crowded elevator rides. Instead of waiting, try taking the utility elevator at the front of Centennial (they’re located right through the doors to Centennial by the central Anderson stairwell). Plus this is also a superb way to move in and out at the beginning/end of the semester.

3. Make an ice cream sandwich at TDR.

Can’t decide between ice cream or cookies? Get the best of both worlds by making yourself an ice cream sandwich! Grab two of your favorite cookies and get some ice cream to put in the middle of them, and you’ve got yourself an ice cream sandwich!

4. Study here instead of outside SIS.

If you’ve ever studied in the seating right outside of SIS, then you probably know that it can be pretty distracting and can get crowded relatively easily. Below are four other study spots on campus you should choose besides SIS.

-Right behind SIS: If you go down the steps, there are a few tables with umbrellas that you can study at when it’s nice out!

-The courtyard on top of SOC: There are plenty of tables and lounge chairs. Just go to the third floor of SOC, and the courtyard should be in the middle of the floor!

-Kogod: There are plenty of study lounges in Kogod. There’s also outdoor seating by the steps on Massachusetts Ave.

-Try Katzen: There are actually 3 tables with umbrellas on their balcony. Plus it’s always quiet!

5. Bring your own cup to the Dav or Starbucks.

I recently learned that if you bring your own cup to either the Dav or Starbucks, your drink will be cheaper because they aren’t using their own cups. You also won’t run the risk of the coffee place running out of sleeves for your hot beverages. Not to mention, it’ll be better for mother-earth. But let’s be real, you didn’t need an excuse to use that cute tumbler.

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Chloe Kim

American

Chloe is a senior at American University studying broadcast journalism with a minor in marketing. She is an avid pizza enthusiast, and her dream job is to be a travel writer.