4 Reasons Madeleine Albright Should Be Your New Role Model

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Last Saturday, former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright spoke at American University. If you don’t already know Albright was the first female Secretary of State under President Clinton. She also worked in the Senate, for the National Security Council, and served as ambassador to the United Nations, among other positions. Aside from this impressive resumé, Madeleine Albright has advocated for human and women’s rights around the world. If that wasn’t enough to make you want to be her, here are four more reasons why she is a role model for women everywhere.

First, she’s surprisingly hilarious! If you have never heard Secretary Albright speak before, you may assume that her speeches are academic or only policy based. But the former secretary opened her speech with a hilarious anecdote about an experience she once had in an airport. This set the mood for the rest of the speech as she intertwined jokes with life lessons.

Second, the secretary is known for her fabulous brooches. Who doesn’t love a woman who can rock a bold statement piece? Albright is frequently seen wearing a nice brooch and she totally works them! So what’s stopping you from wearing something bold this season or any season!

Third, she is an immigrant who has become extremely accomplished. Albright is originally from Czechoslovakia and immigrated to the U.S at age 11. During her speech, she talked about how important becoming an American was for her. And I think we can agree that we should be proud to have her as an American. If Secretary Albright could break so many barriers years ago, there should be no stopping a twenty first century woman from any country.

Fourth, she is an educated and accomplished woman who speaks her mind and works to better the world. Albright proves that education and hard work can allow one to accomplish great things. She sets an incredible example for women, and especially AU SIS majors, who want to change the world.  

Find out more about awesome female role models.

Photo Credit: Photo Collective Photographer Anna Moneymaker.