KPU Presents: Madeleine Albright

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

The American University Kennedy Political Union has announced its featured speaker for this year’s All American Weekend – Former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright.

Saturday, Oct. 17 at 8:15 p.m. in Bender Arena, AU students, parents, faculty and press will have the chance to hear the first female U.S. Secretary of State speak about her life, career and legacy, with a question and answer following the speech. 

Secretary Albright served as a major Democratic Party foreign policy advisor before taking on her first diplomatic role as U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, a position for which she was nominated by President Bill Clinton in 1993.

In 1997, she took office as the Secretary of State. She was the first female Secretary of State, and at the time, the highest ranking woman in the history of the U.S. government. In this role, Secretary Albright pushed for strong alliances, democracy, human rights and American trade. After her term, she founded an international strategy consulting firm, the Albright Group, and its affiliate, Albright Capital Management. She currently chairs both.

Fluent in English, French, Russian and Czech, Secretary Albright is currently a professor at Georgetown University’s Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service. She also serves on the board of directors for the Council on Foreign Relations, and is the author of five New York Times best-selling books. In 2012, she was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Barack Obama.

The event will be open to students, parents, faculty and press. All students must arrive with their AU IDs, and parents must arrive with an Eventbrite ticket. Limited seating will be available.

For more information or to inquire about volunteer opportunities, contact KPU at kpu@ausg.org.

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5