3 “Smart” Companies that Take Jewelry to a New Level

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

It’s official: technology has taken over. But that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Kickstarter campaigns have flourished into companies that develop “smart” jewelry to enhance your life in ways you never thought you needed.

This is the future of jewelry, and we’re pretty excited.

1. Nimb

“The First Ring To Help Individuals Lead Safer Lives”

Ladies, meet your new pepper spray. When pressed, this ring silently alerts your friends, family, and local authorities of your GPS location. Whether you are injured or feel unsafe, the Nimb allows you to seek help quickly and easily. Its unobtrusive design and alert system are vital if women are attacked or kidnapped.

Women face an entirely different set of dangers when they walk out their front door in the morning. This ring enables women to experience a level of safety they often don’t have the luxury to feel.

A few more features include:

• A Wearable Witness. The ring automatically activates an audio recorder that can be used as evidence when reporting the incident.
  • Durability. Not only is it water and dirt resistant, but the battery lasts for up to two weeks before it needs to be recharged.
  • Forgetfulness Alert. Whenever you stray too far from your cellphone, your ring will lightly vibrate to guard you against losing it. Seriously, I would buy a Nimb for this feature alone.

Smart jewelry is new, which means the technology tends to be a bit bulky. However, the overall design is very simple and comes in both black and white.

2. Ringly

Ringly is a collection of jewelry that helps women disconnect with their phones and reconnect with their lives.

The technology in the ring or bracelet connects to an app on your phone that allows you to decide which notifications are most important. When the pre-approved notifications come in, it sends a signal to the jewelry to alert you via vibration and/or flashes of light. You can customize different notification settings for each type of alert, so you’ll always be able to tell the difference between and email from your boss and a text from your mom.

These pieces serve two completely opposite advantages at the same time. By assigning precedence to certain types of alerts, you only see the most important notifications on your phone. This keeps you from becoming distracted every time your phone lights up. On the other hand, for people who tend to get absorbed in their work, Ringly serves as a subtle reminder to answer loved ones and attend important meetings. Read more about how wearing her Ringly products impacts the founder’s life every day.

3. Bellabeat

Like a Fitbit, Bellabit’s Leaf bracelet technology allows it to track your steps, calories burned and sleep cycle, but it goes far beyond that. What really personalizes Leaf’s software is the feedback it gives on your physical, mental, and reproductive health. It tracks your progress and uses facts and tips to motivate you to strive further in your health goals.

Leaf believes that mental health is just as important as physical health, and it encourages mindfulness through guided meditation sessions. This company also understands that women have different needs than men and comes with the ability to track menstrual cycles. Leaf can be programmed to feature a fertility calender, which allows it to predict your next period and most fertile days.

The design of the product is also extremely versatile. You can wear it as a necklace, a bracelet, or even clipped onto your sports bra. It stores your data in a mobile app, and the product itself has no screens, which eliminates extra distractions. You simply wear it.

Photo Credits: Cover, 1, 2, 3, 4

Elyse is currently a senior at American University studying foreign language and communications with a focus in Spanish and print journalism. She is originally from Scranton, Pennsylvania and in her spare time she likes to do yoga, read, and binge-watch Netflix when she's supposed to be studying.