10 Ways to Revamp Your Meal Swipes at TDR

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Have you reached that point in the semester when you absolutely dread going to TDR, but you have nowhere else to go? Are you spending money on eating out everyday because you’re so sick of campus food? If you are looking for ways to reinvent boring meals at TDR then this is perfect for you! Below are ten easy and perfect ways to spice up your meals.

1. The Breakfast Sandwich

In order for this to work, you have to be at TDR early enough–while they’re still serving breakfast. Simply combine eggs, potatoes (or hash browns), bacon and a slice of cheese on a toasted bagel. Together, these ingredients make the perfect combination of a breakfast sandwich. Plus, you can totally customize this to your liking!

2. The Pizza Bagel

If you’re anything like us, then you have a tough time avoiding the delicious and glorious-looking pizzas in TDR. But there comes a moment (probably an hour after your meal) when you totally regret it. So why not try for a healthier alternative? You can even create your own portion! Make a delicious pizza bagel by grabbing a bagel (pick whole wheat if you’re looking for a healthy alternative), add tomato sauce from the pasta section, chop up some fresh tomato from the salad bar and sprinkle a little bit of cheese on top. Toast the bagel in the toaster, and you’ve made yourself the perfect pizza bagel.

3. The BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwich

Ever have a craving for some nice southern barbeque? Create your own rendition by grabbing some grilled chicken and shredding it. Then grab a bun, lettuce, tomatoes and some barbeque sauce and you’re all set! If you’re feeling extra fancy, wait to create this masterpiece on a day TDR offers cole-slaw. 

4. The Panini

Make a simple panini by collecting most of your ingredients from the sandwich section. Then carefully head over to the waffle-iron, and insert the sandwich into it. The iron will toast the bread and make your sandwich extra tasty! Note: We wouldn’t recommend keeping the sandwich in for too long, so make sure to keep an eye on it.

5. The Vegetable Stir-Fry

If you enjoy a certain sauce from a dish that TDR offers, feel free to vamp it up by adding some vegetables, like steamed broccoli or corn, from another part of TDR to create the perfect vegetable stir-fry. Add salt and pepper for added flavor and enjoy!

Side note: most people know to add dressing to their salad, but another way to spice things up is to pick up some steamed vegetables and adding some dressing on top!

6. The Chicken Noodle Soup on Steroids

When TDR offers chicken noodle soup, don’t be afraid to spice it up! Add any vegetables or even extra pasta to change things up! Carrots, beans, celery, snow peas and beans will make this boring soup ten times better.

7. The Ice Cream Soda

Treat yo’self! Grab a cup, fill it with some ice cream and then fill the cup with coke or sprite. We would totally recommend experimenting with different flavors (like Strawberry with Sprite)! This treat is both super simple and tasty.

8. The Yogurt Parfait

Change things up by making a yogurt parfait! Grab a bowl (or cup) and layer yogurt, bananas, granola and sunflower seeds to make the perfect mid-day snack. Also, don’t be afraid to experiment by adding other fruits TDR is offering that day.

9. The Peanut Butter Waffle

Mix up your waffles, by adding in peanut butter into the waffle mix. If you’re a big fan of bananas, we would totally recommend mashing up some bananas too! Whether you’re eating it as a snack, meal, or dessert, your tummy will thank you!

10. The “Fried” Ice Cream

Add some ice cream into your cereal to make your own customized version of fried ice cream. Simply take small scoops of ice cream and roll it around in the cereal until it is completely covered! The crunchy texture of the cereal might just trick you into thinking you’re eating real fried ice cream at a fancy restaurant. P.S. I’d totally recommend vanilla ice cream with Cinnamon Toast Crunch!

Photo Sources:

1234567891011

Vivian is the Managing Editor of the Her Campus American chapter. She is currently a senior at American University, pursuing a degree in Business Administration with a specialization in Finance and a minor in Law & Society. Vivian is originally from Long Island, New York. In her spare time, she enjoys cooking, drinking iced coffee and taking photos of her food. She is extremely excited to be a part of such an amazing organization on campus!