This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albizu chapter.

Hello Gorgeous, a new college year has arrived! We all know that it’s time to set our alarms and start our projects, but do we know how to get them ready on time? Keep reading, ‘cause I’ve got some tips for you…

1. Get a calendar or an agenda.

It sounds pretty obvious, right? But the truth is that most people buy calendars and agendas they never really use. First, you must write things down in a way you actually enjoy and don’t forget. Did you know that humans produce approximately 60,000 thoughts each day? You have a really good chance of forgetting one or two things if you don’t write them down…so prepare a weekly agenda and a monthly agenda. In the weekly agenda, write every Sunday all the things you have to complete during the week and in the monthly agenda, all the important dates you must remember.

2. Make a to-do list the night before.

Some mornings, we’re so worried about getting ready that finding five minutes to settle down and write a to-do list can be a little bit challenging. However, if you make a to-do list for the next day every night before you go to sleep, you’ll be surprised by the relaxed state your mind and body will be in. Your beauty rest will be much better and you will be able to get things done efficiently the next day.

3. Stop postponing things.

Did you know that you spend much more time postponing things that actually getting them done? For example, you need to read a new chapter for your psychology class next week. You didn’t read it during the week, and in a blink of an eye it’s already the day before class. You wait until the night because you want to do other stuff during the day. The day goes on and you are so tired at night that you set the alarm to wake up earlier than usual to read it in the morning. The morning comes and you don’t hear the alarm… come on, I don’t have to write the rest of this dramatic and horrifying story… Isn’t it crazy how much time we spend postponing things? It’s the same amount of time that we could invest in getting them done! When you’re thinking about your homework and you honestly know that you have the time to do it, get it done as soon as possible.

4. Set deadlines.

You must focus on one thing at a time to complete your work. A really effective and cool way to set deadlines on the work you need to do is by color coding them on your agenda. You can use a different color to highlight your tests, projects, reading material, presentations, etc. That way, you can be visually aware of all your tasks.

5. Just breathe.

Frustration, anxiety or stress will not get things done for you. It’s time to breathe; remember that you are the only one responsible for your work results and that an unhealthy state of mind isn’t going to help you in any way. It’s time to get things done because you deserve to be productive and have a wonderful college experience in preparation for your future.

So… Stop reading this and start getting things done for you! :)

*Photo credit: Pinterest (cover picture edited by Analis Barreto de la Torre

Psychology student at Carlos Albizu University- San Juan Campus.
Marcela Alvarez Alvarez is a 21-year-old psychology student at Albizu University located in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico. She's the former Campus Correspondent and the founder of Her Campus Albizu. When she graduates, she plans to earn her doctorate degree in Clinical Psychology with an emphasis in Clinical Neuropsychology.  Marcela enjoys reading, listening to k-pop (korean pop music) and watching beauty videos on YouTube. One of her many goals is to start a lifestyle magazine focusing on beauty, fashion, and how it influences mental health.