Original Illustration by Megan Charles for Her Campus Media

I Should’ve Majored in Communications

How can I call myself an adultIf at 21 years oldI can never say “no”?I can never find the right wordsTo describe the negative emotions flowing inside of my headI tell myself I don’t want to be a burdenBut something’s not rightIf every time I try to express my truthsThe air leaves my lungsAnd I’m paralyzedMy lips can no longer speak the wordsMy mind draws a blankI tell myself that I’m probably better off if I leave it alone anywaySo I sit silently; in my own headI wish that I could write a letter to the universeAnd send it out my windowSo that all my problems would vanish as quickly as the wind carries my words awayHow can I call myself an adultIf at 21 years oldI still don’t know how to put myself firstI stretch myself thinEmpathy and guilt overwhelm me 
So I try to retractBecause pushing myself too far is sometimes the only thing that I can controlI should’ve majored in communicationsBecause maybe then I would know how to speak up for myselfThe way I speak up for everyone elseAnd call myself an adultWith no emotional drawbacksMaybe one day I will grow to stop disappointing myselfFor the sake of Not disappointing strangers
N/A