nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Being Productive on A Snow Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

It’s that time of year again… freezing temperatures, holidays with family, the sun setting by five o’clock, and delicious food prepared for various occasions. One of winter’s greatest gifts just so happens to be snow days, built in days to either get that work done or to throw the covers over your head and catch up on some much-needed sleep. Being productive on a snow day doesn’t necessarily mean you have to burden yourself with all of the assignments you have hanging over your head. It can sometimes be even more efficient to do all of the self-care activities you’ve been putting off due to the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

Personally, snow days are my favorite days. The weather outside makes everything that much comfier cozy inside my room, and I feel less guilty about staying in for the day. It’s easier said than done but being productive on these days goes a long way, especially since they tend to happen right in the middle of a work-heavy patch of school. Even still, watching Netflix in bed all day is just as satisfying, and honestly… you deserve it for how hard you work! This balance between school work and self­care is sometimes hard to find, even being an essential piece of living a healthy lifestyle. Too much of either side can be detrimental on aspects of your life that need to be well maintained in order for a person to be progressing in a way that is positive.

With that being said, it is important to assess what needs to be done on a snow day when the time is there for you to use it however you please. If you’ve been feeling low and haven’t had much time to yourself due to being pulled in what feels like a million directions lately, maybe forget the school work for the time being and treat yourself to a few episodes of that show you’ve been watching. If you feel like you’ve been slacking and just can’t get it together recently, try to sit down and do the work you have been putting off or completing mediocrely. Chances are, it will make you feel accomplished and decrease the stress you feel regarding school and/or life.

There is no right or one answer when it comes to making snow days productive. The most important thing is to take the day and be constructive in whatever way you need to and try to have fun while doing it. Here are some of my favorite things to do on a snow day:

1. Catch up on YouTube videos
  2. Watch Netflix
  3. Map out your schedule for the next couple of weeks, school and assignment-wise
  4. Do an assignment or two
  5. Start studying for an upcoming exam
  6. Watch your favorite movies
  7. Drink hot chocolate
  8. Take a bath and do a face mask
  9. Facetime a friend 
  10. Read a book
  11. Bundle up, go outside and enjoy the snow

In reality, all of these things are positive natured and will have you feeling refreshed enough to get back into the groove of things once the snow day freedom has come to an end. Try them out and see how much better your Mother Nature granted day is.

Cute coffee shops. New York City. Concerts. Writing stuff. Freshman at University at Albany. That's all there is to it.
N/A