Career

Applying to Graduate School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

Applying for grad school can be scary, especially if you’re like me who is a first-generation college student. Here is what I did to get me to that acceptance:

1. Resume Make sure that you have all of the relevant work experience, volunteer work, awards, etc. to ensure that those who read your resume know exactly what program you are looking to apply to. If you don’t have much work in the field you want to go into, then make sure you have your resume with things that you did to get you to where you are.

2. GRE I took these at the beginning of my senior year because I wanted to get it out of the way. I used different study methods to prepare. No matter how long I told myself it was, it felt like it was 10x longer. But don’t worry about it and just do your best.

3. Personal essay This was the hardest part for me. Telling people about myself is something that I have always struggled with. But for this I wrote a couple of drafts in order to make sure I was going in the direction I was wanted. After I finished my draft, I asked one of my professors to look it over and give me some feedback. This really helps to get a fresh pair of eyes. I used what my professor said to edit my draft into my final version of my essay.

4. Application Each school is different, but they all start with the basics. What’s your name, your birthday, where you are from, what college you are getting your BA in, what program you are applying too, etc. this part isn’t too hard so don’t stress about this, it’s almost the same as it was to apply for your undergraduate college. When it comes to applying to get my masters I was really stressed out, but after completing the application and receiving my acceptance I am so happy. Don’t be afraid to ask the professors around you, reach out to directors of different programs or even their admissions councilors. People want to see you succeed so everything will work out.

Hi! I'm currently at the UAlbany and my favorite colors are blue and purple.