Spotted: CW President Teases a Gossip Girl Reboot

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alaska chapter.

Hey there Upper East Siders, Gossip Girl here. An anonymous source (CW president Mark Pedowitz) sent in a tip that a Gossip Girl reboot is in “discussion”. At the Television Critics Association winter press tour, Pedowitz teased a possible revival of the late 2000’s hit drama series, reports TV Line

Don’t go digging into your closet for your long-forgotten headbands and neckties just yet, though. 

via GIPHY

“There’s a discussion, but I don’t know if we’re there yet,” Pedowitz told reporters when asked about a possible reboot. “I don’t know what it would be. A lot is up to Warner Bros. and [exec producers] Josh [Schwartz] and Steph[anie Savage], ’cause you don’t want to do anything without them.”

The series, starring Blake Lively, Leighton Meester, Penn Badgley, Chace Crawford and Ed Westwick, ran for six seasons premiering in 2007 and ending in 2012 with below standard ratings during the finale season. While it seems unlikely that all the cast members would return for a revival, a few have expressed openness to the idea. In 2017, Blake Lively, who played Manhattan’s “It Girl”, Serena van der Woodsen, told Variety, “I don’t know. Why not? It sort of all depends. Would I do seven years of the show? No, because it’s hard work and I’ve got my babies, and I don’t want to be away from them that much. But I’ve just learned in life you never say never.” 

On another note, Leighton Meester, who portrayed queen B, Blair Waldorf, told Vanity Fair, “If everyone was into it and if the timing was right, you know?…I don’t want to say, ‘No, never …”

The show could very much go on without the original stars. In the series finale, we get glimpse of Manhattan’s elite in their early years of adulthood with a mini Bass running around and the wedding of Serena and Dan. Could the reboot be centered on the lives of the next generation of NYC’s aristocrats?

Talk of what a modern day GG would look like has been circulating for several years. At the ATX TV Festival in 2016, executive producer Josh Schwartz dished his speculations to E!. “The world has become Gossip Girl now, and now literally everyone is Gossip Girl,” said Schwartz, “the internet has changed.” It’s reasonable to picture Gossip Girl sending out blasts via Snapchat stories, Instagram and Twitter if she were to become active today. 

While we wait to see what will unfold in the realm of GG, Dan Humphrey’s pining, Lonely Boy spirit is kept alive in his much creepier alter Joe Goldberg in Netflix’s You

We would certainly not mind returning to the Met steps with yogurt in hand, until then, you know you love me, XOXO. Gossip Girl. 

Mackenzie Sylvester is a senior Digital Journalism student at the University of Alaska Fairbanks. She is founder, editor-in-chief and campus correspondent for the University of Alaska Her Campus chapter and a National Writer for HC beauty. Mack is obsessed with all things health, beauty and magazine related. She is a retired hockey player, photographer, Potterhead and world-traveler. Mack is the self-proclaimed Hermione Granger who really was placed in Ravenclaw. Follow her on Instagram @macksylvester27.