This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

If you’re anything like me, how you wake up in the morning matters; it sets the tone for your day. One of the most important, and often most neglected, parts of a morning routine is your alarm! Of course, it would be ideal to not have to wake up to an alarm in the morning, but every day isn’t Saturday. Alarm-less mornings just aren’t an option for most of us. 

Rather than the BEEP BEEP BEEP we’ve all come to know and hate, it’s important to set an alarm tone that makes you feel ready to slay the day. Nobody slays the day better than the trendsetters of the century: drag queens. Whether you’re into drag culture or not, I’m positive that these 5 songs by various drag icons will make you want to wake up and absolutely rule the world. No more dreading that 7 a.m. wake up call for you. Get ready to serve everyone some of your girl boss realness!

“Cover Girl” – RuPaul

This song birthed one of the most iconic lines of all time (and a RuPaul’s Drag Race staple): “Cover girl, put that bass in your walk! Head to toe, let your whole body talk!” It’s just impossible to wake up to this song and be anything less than confident and radiant. Every day you are beautiful, inside and out, but this song will help you realize that from the moment you wake up.

“Hieeee” – Alaska 5000

Hieeee has been the song to pull me back into main character mode time and time again. Alaska 5000 inspires the utmost confidence with her demand that people photograph her, because she doesn’t “look like this just so [she] can exist in [our] feeble memory.” We could all use a little bada** energy like this in our morning routines.

“Read U Wrote U” – The Cast of RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars, Season 2

Every day is a chance to wake up and prove that you’re the one the world should be looking at. You’re the hottest in the room. You’re the star of the show. That’s what this song is all about. Four finalists from RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars sing about how they’re “the one” who should steal the crown for best drag queen. Just listening to them makes me feel like I’m the one, too.

“Friends” – Jinkx Monsoon

Jinkx Monsoon comes at us with a song bragging about how she’s friends with everybody who is anybody in the drag community. She inspires us to remember an important fact: the more confident you are, the more confident you come across. Get up and get going. One day you’ll go out to the club and “get in for free” just like Miss Jinkx Monsoon.

“The Baddest B*tches in Herstory” – The Cast of RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars, Season 2

This is my favorite song to listen to when I need a confidence boost. It’s all about celebrating women and features the exaggerated, parodied perspectives of iconic women in “her”story: Eve, Helen of Troy, Marie Antoinette, Kathryn the Great, Annie Oakley, Eva Perón and Princess Diana. There simply is no better way to wake up than with the reminder that: “They say it’s a man’s world, and we disagree.”

Are you excited to wake up in the morning now? Give these songs a listen and see which one makes you feel the most like the queen you are. They’ll bring your morning energy from “blah” to “muah.” Blow your haters a kiss and go into your day with the unapologetic self-love these famous drag queens told you to!

Emma Kate is a current senior majoring in Creative Media and with minor in Social Innovation and Leadership. Her hobbies include eating too much sushi, re-watching Game of Thrones (again), and writing dramatic articles for whoever will read them!
Alabama Contributor