Stephanie Watson: SGA Director

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

When sophomore Stephanie Watson first came to UA, she knew she wanted to be involved in campus life. Her interest in government, which helped her choose her major, secondary education with a focus in social studies, also helped spark her interest in SGA. Watson currently serves as the director of Campus Connect, a new SGA organization that keeps SGA connected with campus organizations and helps organizations stay up to date on SGA happenings and projects.

In high school, Watson was a very involved student, and knew that she would want her involvement to continue in her college career. In addition to her role in SGA, Watson is also active in greek life and Al’s Pals elementary school mentoring program.

For Watson, a major part of getting involved in campus life was actively seeking her interests. For girls looking to get involved in SGA, Watson suggests staying connected with SGA’s social media sites, which are regularly updated with opportunities, application deadlines and positions.

“Make yourself aware of the different opportunities or it’s going to be hard to capitalize on those opportunities,” Watson said.

If you’re looking to meet new people, college is certainly the place for it. Watson explained that networking is essential if you’re looking to get involved in campus life. Of course, while knowing the right people is only as beneficial as your ability to fill your desired position, networking skills go a long way in making valuable connections. The challenge for girls looking to take on leadership roles and get involved is turning one-time meetings into meaningful interactions.

Some essential networking skills Watson named were being aware of your surroundings, being approachable, and being able to introduce yourself to people. Watson’s keys to effective networking also include having a positive attitude and a firm handshake.

“I think someone is going to remember you if you are a little more upbeat or have more of a positive outlook on life versus if you’re kind of timid and don’t look as happy about life,” Watson said. “Whatever can come through in your personality that can give you that positive edge when you’re meeting that person is going can be helpful in making that positive impression.

Serving as the director of Campus Connect has given Watson several skills translatable to real-world skills. Most importantly, Watson said her communication skills, like public speaking and communicating across organizations, have benefitted from her experiences in her position.

For younger students and those still in high school, it can be difficult to know how to build a solid résumé, but Watson says that, while involvement in many organizations can be positive, it’s the quality, not the quantity, of your involvement that can give you an edge for the future.

“I think what can really give them an edge is taking leadership positions,” Watson said. “You can have a girl who is in twenty different clubs, but what does it say about her if she’s not taking leadership positions.”

Leadership can be essential to making your involvement in campus life meaningful and leadership positions are much easier to find than one might think, especially in SGA. SGA encompasses far more than the presidential candidates campaigning on the steps of the Plaza. According to Watson, there are plenty of director positions and non-elected positions that can be a great way for students to get involved. Freshmen can also run for First Year Council, a branch of SGA that helps freshmen gain SGA and leadership experience.

Along with the “do’s” of getting involved, Watson also stresses a few “don’ts” that can hinder collegiettes’ networking success. Watson said it’s important to present yourself through your social media networks just as you would in person. Her rule is don’t post anything your grandma wouldn’t approve.

“Keep [your social media] polished and as much a reflection of yourself as you can,” Watson said.

Watson also suggested that girls, especially freshmen, use discretion in their partying. Watson said that you should enjoy your time, but keep in mind that college isn’t all about partying and there are plenty of things to do to have fun besides going out every night.

Once collegiettes hone their networking skills, they’ll be ready to take on some of the many leadership positions available at UA, like Watson’s position in SGA. The world of politics has long been thought of as a man’s game, but girls don’t need to let that stereotype intimidate them out of getting involved in campus politics. Watson said she has never knowingly faced any challenges with her involvement in SGA due to her gender.

“There are so many awesome girls who are in really high up positions in SGA,” Watson said. “I’ve really never seen [gender] as an issue which, I think is a really great thing about this day and age. I think it’s a really positive thing about SGA that they’re not going to look at your gender. They’re going to look at your skills and who you are and your resume.”

Watson is positive about her future in SGA and feels she is setting herself up for a successful future by meeting people, creating broader networks, and honing her communication skills. As she decides her path for next year, Watson provides collegiettes with an excellent example of how to get involved with campus life.

Alabama Contributor