This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

As a former Starbucks barista for almost two years, I saw my fair share of weird drinks. Hot chocolates made up of mostly mocha syrup, lattes with nine shots and iced teas with exactly three ice cubes were more common than you think. But for every odd drink I came across, I also saw many patrons get creative with the menu and come up with some delicious combinations. I made a point to try as many of those drinks as possible, and some of them still live on as my go-tos years later. Whether you like iced teas, frappuccinos, lattes or macchiatos, the wide range of syrups and toppings means the possibilities for creative, delicious drinks are boundless.

For A Cool Down

Fall in Alabama usually means one thing: sticky. While most parts of the country enjoy cool temperatures and sweater weather, the South enjoys holding on to the sweaty summer just a little longer. My favorite way to cool down after a too-hot walk to campus is a White Tea Lemonade with half pumps of Raspberry. This tea has become my tried and true method of refreshing myself, and I have converted my whole family into fanatics of this simple and light drink. The white tea isn’t too overpowering, letting the fruitiness of the lemonade and raspberry syrup shine through. Try it the next time you’re feeling parched.

For a Pick-Me-Up

Sometimes life catches up to you; you’ve slept four hours in the last two days, you have an essay due tomorrow and you’ve somehow lost your watch again. In times like these, I often don’t feel I have the time to stop, sit down and enjoy a coffee. Before I found my favorite way to perk myself up, I struggled between deciding on downing two shots of bitter espresso or a too-sweet, sickly energy drink. My next suggestion is the perfect amount of sweet and caffeinated, guaranteed to give you a boost and keep you going. This simple drink is a Double Shot of Blonde Espresso with a pump of Vanilla Syrup topped with a splash of soy milk. Blonde espresso is sweeter than regular espresso and contains more caffeine, so it is the perfect accompaniment to the warm vanilla tones from the syrup and soy. The soy cools down the espresso just enough so you can down this quick drink with one or two sips and continue your day!

For an Indulgence

Congrats! You finished your essay, got a good night’s sleep and found your watch. You deserve a reward. If you’re looking for something that will make you feel a little guilty in the best way, try what I call “ice cream in a cup.” It’s not too sweet, super creamy and a welcome departure from the heavy flavors of coffee and chocolate usually found in a frappucino. Green tea lovers, this one’s for you. It’s a Matcha Green Tea Frappucino with an extra scoop of matcha and made with heavy cream. The addition of extra matcha cuts the sweetness of this drink and the use of heavy cream makes it taste like the best green tea ice cream you’ve ever had. For an added bonus, if you’re lactose intolerant like me, heavy cream is actually the best form of traditional dairy for you at Starbucks! It contains less lactase and more fat than any other milk. It’s my favorite guilty pleasure.

While you sit through Zoom classes and write countless essays, don’t forget to treat yourself. Trying these unique and delicious ways to keep yourself motivated is an easy and fun way to give yourself a little self-love!

Claire is a sophomore at the University of Alabama studying Psychology, Anthropology, and Criminal Justice. Originally from Seattle, Claire has loved experiencing life on the other side of the country and hopes to one day be a clinical psychologist. She is passionate about mental health, politics, and her cat. When she's not writing for HerCampus, you can find her kayaking, baking, or making jewelry.
Alabama Contributor